PDA

View Full Version : Barometric Damper???

MapleChaser
12-31-2009, 03:51 AM
Is a Barometric Damper needed for a oil fired evaporator? My evap. has a 20 inch stack. Just seems to me that it should maintane good draft all night long. It is my first year with this rig. Would like some thoughts from guys who have oil fired. Thanks MC

Greg Morin
12-31-2009, 05:32 AM
yes it should too high of draft will pull the flame off the retention head and cause incomplete combustion and possible lockout conditions. what kind of burner? you said 20 inch stack I hope long not around.

Haynes Forest Products
12-31-2009, 06:27 AM
I got my best internal arch heat last year by restricting the top of the flue pipe. Now the down side was back pressure in the arch would force some of the flue gas out the small voids in the pan seals.

Haynes Forest Products
12-31-2009, 06:34 AM
Greg Got to thinking that sometimes I would get locked out when I would start the burner. What would happen is I hit the switch and it starts and then stops after about a second and then goes to lock out. You wait the 60 seconds and then try again. Its hit and miss sometimes. Doesnt do it when its hot. I think the restriction help that????? I have the beckett BCF 205 KD1400 low/high fire Commercial unit. Clean oil filter:)

Greg Morin
12-31-2009, 06:02 PM
high draft conditions is definatly an enemy to the oil burner I worked on a 3yo boiler today that had chimney work done draft is now higher and was pulling off the head I had to make many adjustments to keep it running.

MapleChaser
01-01-2010, 01:49 PM
yes it should too high of draft will pull the flame off the retention head and cause incomplete combustion and possible lockout conditions. what kind of burner? you said 20 inch stack I hope long not around.

The stack is 20 inches around!! My stack height is going to be about 20 feet high. Iam a little confused does the baremetric damper increase draft? What is the retention head? One thing I think is we do not want to much draft that just send wasted heat up the stack. I want to have the most heat for boiling.
Thanks MC

Greg Morin
01-01-2010, 03:19 PM
a draft regulator reduces and keeps draft at an even state the retention head is the part ahead of the nozzle assembly on the oil burner. it shapes the flame

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/Publications/infosource/Pub/home/images/figure7.gif

http://www.inspectapedia.com/heat/DraftRegulators.htm

Haynes Forest Products
01-01-2010, 04:18 PM
If you look at old time wood stoves and I mean Stoves they had Dampers on them so they wouldnt pull all the heat out of the stove AND they would save fuel by not allowing the wind to cause over drafting. What they do is when the draft up the stove pipe gets to heavy they open up and allow outside air to mix with the flue gas and not suck all the heat from the stove. They have a balance screw to adjust the amount of air you want into the stack. You will also see them on old boiler setups