PDA

View Full Version : reducing tansfer pump from 3" to 2"

jdj
12-31-2009, 12:57 AM
I have a 3" gas transfer pump. I want to reduce it from 3" inlet and discharge to 2" inlet and discharge using cam locks(cam and groove) fittings. Is this possible? If so where can I buy the fittings? Thanks.

maplwrks
12-31-2009, 06:00 AM
You can--but it will greatly reduce the capacity of your pump. You may, depending on your pump, develop some unwanted pressure?? Camlocks are available at a Tractor Supply store.

Haynes Forest Products
12-31-2009, 06:19 AM
Most pumps need back pressure to work properly. They need a certain amount of internal pressure to get the seal to seat. Alot of pond pumps recommend that you put a valve on the discharge side to restrict it if your not pumping liquid using natural head pressure. I have seen them at Lowe's just make sure that they will fit the hose. I have a bunch that I got with the barb fitting and they didnt match up 3/4 cloth hose isnt the same as poly:mad:

maple flats
12-31-2009, 07:05 AM
Very do able. Just bush the 3" out to 2" and install the 2" cam lock. When I bought an irrigation pump for my strawberries I grew many years ago the pump had 4" in and 3" out as was set up by the irrigation company. The biggest thing you need is supply and 3" will supply good. You will lose a little delivery and will use a little more gas to pump but just keep the 2" as short as possible and you will do fine. Don't however reduce the input, that will drop delivery by a much greater %. Reducing would also add a little temperature but at open discharge you would not even be able to measure it with a non scientific thermometer.

sapman
12-31-2009, 04:53 PM
I used a 2" pump last season, and reduced intake (10' section) and outlet to 1.5". Everything worked fine. It drops the flow from about 150+-gph to about 70. On camlock fittings, my tractor supply keeps very little in stock. I've had great luck getting stuff right from the Banjo company. Looked them up online, and get all I need shipped right to me. These fittings don't work well with black poly (too loose). I bought a bunch of "tigerflex" online from US Plastics, which is the right size.

Tim

wcproctor
12-31-2009, 05:51 PM
OK, Yes you can, like everyone said. but the best thing to do is not to run the pump at full RPM cut it back a little bit. It is all about hydraulics .In 1 1/2 pipe you can move 75 gpm in 2" can move 90-95 gpm I don't work with 3" much (I'm in the swimming pool Ind) so I work with a lot of pumps and yes it will work With lower RPMs. Gook luck with 2010

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-01-2010, 05:04 PM
www.northerntools.com

They have a good supply of camlocks and the highest quality ones. Reduce it to 2" first, then use 2" camlocks, lot cheaper than anything 3" and easier to find.