PDA

View Full Version : Finally Pics of Sugar House

Dan W
12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
It took my computer savy daughter to load this link. Here are some pics of the new to me evaporator and new sugar house with construction pics of the cupola.

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh122/oldmanwinz/New%20Sugar%20House/

Dan W
12-30-2009, 01:37 PM
testing siggy

gator330
12-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Looks very nice.

NH Maplemaker
12-30-2009, 05:02 PM
DanW, very nice set up! You will be enjoying it for years to come! Did you make the draw off or did come with the set up? We added one last season and it worked grate, Want to get a level alarm for the rear pan for this season! Sure would be nice if I could make one my self!! Jim L.

Dennis H.
12-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Very Nice Setup Dan.

It looks to be a 2x6 evap. I like how you have everything setup in side, nice and tidy.

Can you give more info on the drawoff setup you made? What valve are you using?

What did you do for under the evap. It looks like you just made a form and poured a square pad for where the firebox of the evap sits.

farmall h
12-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Dan W. sweet looking rig and very nice sugar house!

PARKER MAPLE
12-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Nice Looking Shak. Was Wondering What The Overall Demensions Are. Thanks M.r.

farmall h
12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Dan W, good idea for the sap hauler. I have about 100 buckets and covers left over from the "old days". Might just do some roadside trees this year. :)

Dave Y
12-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Nice job on the set up Dan, all you need now is lights in you hoods and you will be big time! :)

Haynes Forest Products
12-30-2009, 07:41 PM
If all that is new to you and its the first that you have your doing alot better than I ever did so great job. Now I never thought of putting a FLAT SCREEN PLASMA TV ON THE HOOD GOOD MOVE:rolleyes: Do you need to cut a hole in the floor for the blower to breath?

Dan W
12-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the compliments. This is my fourth set-up. Turkey fryer to a modified 55 gallon drum and a canning pot as a pan to a Half Pint to this 2x6. This will be my first time boiling inside. The evaporator is sitting on cement board with 4 inch cement blocks as spacers supporting a 30x30x2 patio stone. I made the draw-off. The PID controller and temp probe are from Auber Instruments and the solenoid is from Valves4Projects (both on ebay). The housing is an 8x8 electric junction box from Lowes. The rest is parts I scavenged from work (indicator lights, high temp alarm, etc).

Dave Y, Funny you brought that up-I am a step ahead of you. I was looking at your lights when I was there. Did you come up with them or were they part of the new rig? I have been searching ebay for something that would work without any success.

Haynes Forest Products
12-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Dan W get a halogen shop light and pull the basket off the lens and cut the hole a tad smaller and take all the brackets and extra crap off and just mount it facing down. They can take the heat and if you use high temp cement as a seal between the lens frame and the hood you wont get water condensing in the light. Turn the light on when you fire it up so they get to temp at the same time.

tapper
12-31-2009, 06:05 AM
Nice looking setup Dan. Its as much fun putting everything together as it is using it.

Dave Y
12-31-2009, 06:48 AM
Dan,
The lights come mounted in the hoods from the factory. My old rig had a lighrt inside a mason jar. It worked well.

Gary R
12-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Dan,

That look's very nice. If you did those 4 steps in 4 years, you are really hooked:) . You are going to enjoy being inside. I imagine you'll be tapping in a few weeks. If posible I'd like to stop by. Looks like there are plenty of gadgets in the sugarhouse I'd like to see. Good luck!

Sugarmaker
12-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Dan,
You have a lot packed in to this sugar house and looks to be in very good order for the size of your operation. Thanks for posting the pictures for us. Nice touch building your own draw off!

Regards,
Chris

Dan W
12-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Gary, stop by any time!! PM me for directions if you are going to be down this way.