PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Flow while boiling

MFarmall
12-29-2009, 10:30 PM
I re-built my syrup pan to a 5 section and added a reverse flow set-up so I can reverse the flow in the syrup pan with out having to shut down the fire and flip and clean the pan. Going to add another thermometer so won't have to move them. Hope to have the hood and pre-heater done and on the flue pan shortly. Hoping this will speed up my boiling time next spring. Have to try to get the pictures a little bigger.
MFarmall

MFarmall
01-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Got the hood and pre-heater on, just need to get feed tank hooked up and give it a test boil to see if everything works as hoped. Have 10 feet of 8" stack on hood with damper. 14 feet of 3/4" copper in the pre-heater.1122

Fred Henderson
01-14-2010, 04:20 AM
Instead of that 3/4" pipe you would have been better sreved to have used 3/4" finned tube radiation pipe. The tubing has a very thin wall and tempertures transfer much faster, Also the finns are big help too. Your header should have been at least 1-1/2". It is diffcult to feed all the 3/4 inch with 3/4.

smitty76
01-14-2010, 05:19 AM
MFarmall, my preheater is simular to yours. I used 3/4 copper pipe as well on my 2x6 with about 24' of pipe. my preheated sap temp from preheater to pan is about 180 deg. I have never had a flow problem.

nice job and good luck.
Smitty76

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Got the hood and pre-heater on, just need to get feed tank hooked up and give it a test boil to see if everything works as hoped. Have 10 feet of 8" stack on hood with damper. 14 feet of 3/4" copper in the pre-heater.1122

Looks a lot like my preheater and hood system. Great job on everything!

MFarmall
01-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Brandon, hope you don't have a patent on your hood and pre-heater. Didn't get a chance to get down at get a look at yours but your great pictures were a very big help in getting the hood and pre-heater put together. Have the feed tank hooked up and hope to get a test boil early next week. Will try and get some pictures of the final set-up on here.
Mel

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Mel,

Looks like you did a tremendous job, better than I could have done I am sure. Glad I could help you a tad and wish you could have made it down, but I know how things go, we get so busy. Gotta love the brass quick connects, that is what I have on my preheater. I built a lifting system for my hood this summer. Got on of the cheap hand winches off of ebay and picked up 100' of steel cable @ Lowes on clearance for $ 10. Entire system probably didn't cost over $ 50 or $ 60. I unhook the 2 brass quick coupling on the entrance and exit of the preheater just outside the hood and the hood will lift 2.5 to 3 feet of the evaporator. Takes about 20 seconds to loosen the brass quick connects and about 30 seconds to raise the hood. The hand winch is reverse geared so it lowers just as easy as it raises.

Guess if I throw a 2x5 steamaway on it in the future, I won't have as much room between hood and ceiling, but still enough for some access as I can modify trusses a little if I have too as they are on 2' centers. Anyone got dibs on a 2x5 steamaway??

PS Job on the syrup pan is awesome!

MFarmall
01-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Got pretty much everything ready. Thought put a picture on of the holding tank and the feed tank. Now see what the weather man and mother nature have to say about when to start tapping.
Mel1148

Mike in NY
01-20-2010, 10:33 PM

I like your hood.Was what I wanted built then welder talked me into a 4 pitch hood all 4 sides centering into a 12 inch stack. I am gonna run about 40 ft of 3/4 inch copper in my hood. Sorta copying/adding my own thoughts to a hood a neighbor has. He gets 180 degrees out of his preheater, I am hoping for simmilar results.
I am going to use only a 12" (by 12" high) stack off the hood and damper the flow as needed. closed at start up to bring temp up then wide open when full boil
sposed to pick up hood friday, will try to post pics