PDA

View Full Version : Flat Pan vs. Divided Pan

sap seeker
12-28-2009, 07:37 AM
I am in search of a new pan and have read back through all the old posts regarding flat vs. divivded, pro's and con's, for a very small producer, 15-18 taps is my max. at my location. I guess my question would be is that enough taps to take advantage of the pro's of a divided pan? Better syrup, etc. than batch. My concern is I wont have enough sap per boil to utilize the divided pan as intended, if I understand correctly that it is never completely empty until the season is over. Thoughts? I guess a small 2x3 divided pan could always just be used as a batch pan if not enough sap.....:confused:
Thanks gentlemen.

C.Wilcox
12-28-2009, 09:40 AM
In your situation my preference would be a simple flat pan. I don't think you're going to see any real added benefit from a divided pan because as you said, you may have trouble getting enough sap to run it as it is intended. And don't think that a flat pan will resign you to all dark syrup. There are plenty of guys that have made very light syrup in a flat pan, especially at the beginning of the season. Also, a flat pan is likely to be less expensive than a divided pan if you're having it welded up, although probably not significantly.

Bucket Head
12-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I agree with Mr. Wilcox. You won't have enough sap to take advantage of the dividers. We used small flat pans for years and we made all grades of syrup. Yes, more dark than the other grades, but it was still good! The pans on our current evap. were both flat pans originally. We used them for two years like that and made all the grades also.

Steve

Haynes Forest Products
12-28-2009, 02:15 PM
IF and that is IF your having the pan made having the divider WONT hurt. It will allow for expansion and will make for a stronger pan. I would also count on the fact that you will get bigger some day and will then want to add to the rig. Make it the last pan you want. Dont think that because your small that you cant act big get it right and have fun. And put in a drawoff valve

Haynes Forest Products
12-28-2009, 06:54 PM
One more thing when neighbors see how much fun your having they will be offering to bring you sap for syrup so be carful how you answer and remember its like having a swimming pool in the back yard you become the neighborhood day care:lol:

sap seeker
12-29-2009, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the input gentlemen, we made very tasty syrup in a lasagna pan last year, the darker batch stuff tastes better anyway IMO. We don't sell, just use or give away. And Haynes, I may be the only guy on here that won't get any bigger than they say as I'm already stealing use of my neighbors trees!:D

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-29-2009, 06:12 AM
SS,
We are taking note of that "won't get any bigger" stuff. Can't wait 'til it's "I told you so time:lol:

JFH51
12-29-2009, 06:31 AM
Sap seeker I am in the same situation, about 15 taps. I typically only boil weekends. I run a 19 x 32 pan and make nice light syrup. I have a preheater pan mounted on my arch that brings in the sap at 190 to 210 degrees. I feed in constantly and maintain a constant boil all day. I have a 12 x12 propane fired finish pan, I empty the big pan when I have all my sap processed and the level is down to about 1 in.

sap seeker
12-29-2009, 08:08 AM
SS,
We are taking note of that "won't get any bigger" stuff. Can't wait 'til it's "I told you so time:lol:

I live on a 1/4 acre lot, feel pretty confident in that statement unfortunately.:D

sap seeker
12-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Sap seeker I am in the same situation, about 15 taps. I typically only boil weekends. I run a 19 x 32 pan and make nice light syrup. I have a preheater pan mounted on my arch that brings in the sap at 190 to 210 degrees. I feed in constantly and maintain a constant boil all day. I have a 12 x12 propane fired finish pan, I empty the big pan when I have all my sap processed and the level is down to about 1 in.

Real similar for sure. Does anybody know if its possible to take a s.s. stock pot, drill a hole, and add a valve to it that doesn't leak?

Grizz747
12-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Sapseeker
Do a search for beer making supplies. They make just that kind of valve for ss pots.

Haynes Forest Products
12-29-2009, 08:45 AM
So lets see your name is SAP SEEKERMMMMMMMMMMMMMM you do know that your neighbors have neighbors that have neighbors. Some people are drug tolerant but sooner or later :rolleyes:

KenWP
12-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Real similar for sure. Does anybody know if its possible to take a s.s. stock pot, drill a hole, and add a valve to it that doesn't leak?

It is really easy to do. Haynes told me how to do it and its cheap. Take a nipple of what ever size pipe you want to work with and drill a hole in the pot that it just fits in. Then you use a washer one the out side that dosn't go over the non threded part and a straight pipe connector for a nut in the inside and make your self a plastic or rubber gasket for the out side that is between the washer and the pot. I actually used the plastic from a old ice tray for gaskets and it worked great. Its soft but squishs just enough to seal.
I now have the bladder out of a pressure tank for rubber gaskets I can use so I am set for years for gasket material.

Farmboy
12-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I live on a 1/4 acre lot, feel pretty confident in that statement unfortunately.:D

Thats what neibors are for. I had 41 taps last year and as soon as i get a bigger evaporator someone has 250 taps on the south side of there house. Thats just on the south side. You will grow trust us.

lpakiz
12-29-2009, 12:10 PM
DENIAL is a classic symptom of some maladies...

KenWP
12-29-2009, 12:55 PM
We need a thread where we can post these statements from guys who say they will never get bigger and go back to then every year. In about two years have a prize for the worst case senerio. Theron will be on the top of the list probbably.

Stickey
12-29-2009, 02:58 PM

Like this http://picasaweb.google.com/Stickey66/Sugaring09?authkey=Gv1sRgCK37_qD0p8DW_AE&feat=directlink#5315617486695098258 ?

KenWP
12-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Thats it. Works great and you have a choice of what size you want to make it. By the way how did that preheater work out besides getting a pot really really black.

Stickey
12-29-2009, 05:58 PM
LOL, is the pot trying to call the kettle black? It worked killer, just don't knock it over!! Man, I had fun with my hobo sugaring rig and made some incredible syrup. I just started visiting the forum again, got plans to build a new rig :D ;) :evil: