PDA

View Full Version : "step up" on 275 gallon evaporator

Pete S
12-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Laid awake in bed this early AM, as I had drug the 275 gallon tank from the woods into the shop yesterday. I have intentions of making the cut by this time next week, and getting going on the build.

While laying there, I was thinking that I maybe should "step up" the back portion of the cut about 6-7" so my pre-heat pan will flow real nice into the main pan.

I was also thinking about keeping the upper part of the tank whole as the flue collector and mounting a stack on top of it. I saw photos of one someone did this on but can't find them now!! (help)

Thoughts? (if I made my idea clear enough)

Thanks!

KenWP
12-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Makes sense as a easy way to get sap to flow from one pan to the other. I have seen the pictures also where they left the last few inchs of the tank whole and use it for the curved part of the stack. You have to remeber that it's your project and you can build it your way also. Lots of evaporators have steps in them so that the back pan is higher then the front pan.

heus
12-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Pete, Look in the classifieds thats how mine is that I am trying to sell.

Pete S
12-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks! I just might get out the 'ol sawsall today and have at'er!

twobears1224
12-27-2009, 10:15 AM
i,am thinking about doing the same thing.but,i think it only needs to be 2" to 4 inches.
the arch i,am building need to be lenghted.i took the top 1/3 and used that.i also took one end and cut it out.i,ll use that for the back wall of the fire box.
i,am going to take whats left over and build a smoke stack bace like on heus arch he has for sale.i have alot of 1/8 inch plate and i,l use the curved metal from the tank and some of my plate..i,ll be taking pic,s as i get parts done.

delbert

PS:as your cutting keep in mind that you,ll be putting firebrick inside of it...you should base all designs on that.

Pete S
12-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Well needed to come and and clean up,..............but got her cut!

I laid it out and cut it with my sawsall,.....started each straight line with my cut off wheel on my right angle grinder..........like a dream. I used 2 "used blades". (I don't throw anything out till it's shot!)

Wasn't too enthused about the GUNK inside,.....yuck! Will clean out tomorrow possibly. The stuff doesn't run too fast when temps are in the teens!

I'll try to get some pictures.

Oh,....scrapped out an old side rake which will I plan to use the angle iron for the rim work! Talk about a "green evaporator"!

Happy new year to all yous guys!

Pete

Haynes Forest Products
12-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Pete Just build a fire in the tank it will clean it out.

Gary R
01-01-2010, 07:17 AM
When you start that fire, make sure it's in a large open area. When I burnt the sludge out of mine, it was a huge fire. be careful.

Pete S
01-01-2010, 07:48 AM
This is probably another post, but I could NOT BELIEVE how much "gumpta" there was inside that thing! Although I did see in pencil that the filter was changed in 1976!

I'll proably frame it out and then drag'er out and burn it out.

Thanks!

hanson
01-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Here is the picture of ours we didn't cut the top off all the way.

KenWP
01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
I will watch for the cloud of black smoke from here.