PDA

View Full Version : Which end ring/Y to buy??

vtsnowedin
12-26-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm paging through the online catalogs trying to pick out what best to buy for tubing and fittings. I've never used end rings so I have no opinion about what type works best but I can see the advantage and want to use the best one of them. I see rings with one barb, rings with two barbs, Lapierre sliders plus Y end connectors etc. I've looked at a couple of videos of the Lapierre sliders but they were pretty poor and didn't manage to give an in focus close up of the fitting without someones body or hands in the way.
What are your experiences with some of these and what type will you buy next time you place an order? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

caseyssugarshack93
12-26-2009, 06:41 PM
i like the rings with one barb so you can put the drop line in the spot where you want it not like the 2 barb end rings, And there fast to install, Also i hurd the lapierre sliders are good because you dont have to cut into the tubing= less chance of a vac leak and easy to take down lines if needed or tighten i havent tried any yet but i plan to once my end rings are gone

vtsnowedin
12-26-2009, 07:19 PM
i like the rings with one barb so you can put the drop line in the spot where you want it not like the 2 barb end rings, And there fast to install, Also i hurd the lapierre sliders are good because you dont have to cut into the tubing= less chance of a vac leak and easy to take down lines if needed or tighten i havent tried any yet but i plan to once my end rings are gone
So with the one barb you still need a full drop line with a T? I suppose a shorter drop-line would balance out the .25 for the T but it is three more places to develop a leak. You said fast to install? what tools do you need? The Lapierre video shows them being pushed on by hand but it was not 10deg F for sure.

caseyssugarshack93
12-26-2009, 07:30 PM
yes with a one barbed endring you put the drop with a Tee where ever you like/which is best instead of having the 2 barbed end rings which is where you have to put the drop on the top barbed fitting and is at the end of the line and has to go all the way around the tree before which on gravity the sap has a hard time to go around the tree and you get a dead spot, i like the one barbed ones just because i put the drop where the sap gets a stright shot down the lateral and dont have to go around the tree,

brookledge
12-26-2009, 08:05 PM
I like the IPL end line hook with plug because it snaps over the 5/16 and can be unsnaped to take the line down or if a large branch comes down on the lateral all you need to do is unhook it, pull it out and re hook it. The other types of end lines are permenant. I also have areas where I have to take down the laterals in the summer so it works good to be able to coil up the lateral back to the mainline. It also does not give you any dead space for sap to spoil like some do.
Good luck
Keith

caseyssugarshack93
12-26-2009, 08:27 PM
The sliders are suppto be good ill have to try some and see they are, the sliders come right off the pipe if needed, they like crimp onto the tube then u hook them and if you want to tighten the tube or take a line down you just un hook/crimp them

heres a video of the slider and a few differnt kind of end hook and things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y3KPIvlyZc&feature=player_embedded

caseyssugarshack93
12-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Brookledge where do you buy the ones your talking about? Cdl?

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-27-2009, 03:51 AM
Dominion and Grimm just introduced their version of the end line hook similar to the IPL one.
Doug

vtsnowedin
12-27-2009, 04:24 AM
I like the IPL end line hook with plug because it snaps over the 5/16 and can be unsnaped to take the line down or if a large branch comes down on the lateral all you need to do is unhook it, pull it out and re hook it. The other types of end lines are permenant. I also have areas where I have to take down the laterals in the summer so it works good to be able to coil up the lateral back to the mainline. It also does not give you any dead space for sap to spoil like some do.
Good luck
Keith
Is there any end of line situation where you wouldn't use the IPL hook?

PATheron
12-27-2009, 05:17 AM
I like the IPL end of line hooks too. I always buy them becouse like Keith says you can just unhook the end of the line if you need to take a lateral down. You might want to take a tree down or remove some tube in a lawn or something. I have real good luck with them. I dont see any situation where they wouldnt work fine. Theron

maplwrks
12-27-2009, 05:53 AM
I really like the Lapierre sliders--I started using them on the end tree and now use them on both ends of the line. What I like most about them is, I only need a set of cutters to hang my tubing. I also like the fact that, you can tighten your lines without tools. If you are in an area where you will not need to remove lines for any reason, the end Y is the king. I had a bush go through the '98 ice storm and although, it all collapsed to the ground, it never fell apart and after some serious chainsaw work, I pulled it back up the trees and was ready to go!

vtsnowedin
12-27-2009, 07:49 AM
I really like the Lapierre sliders--I started using them on the end tree and now use them on both ends of the line. What I like most about them is, I only need a set of cutters to hang my tubing. I also like the fact that, you can tighten your lines without tools. If you are in an area where you will not need to remove lines for any reason, the end Y is the king. I had a bush go through the '98 ice storm and although, it all collapsed to the ground, it never fell apart and after some serious chainsaw work, I pulled it back up the trees and was ready to go!

Nice photo album. I see your using the straight taps with inserts. How are they working for you? Any advantage over 90 deg. health taps?
Looking at the inside of your sugarhouse I can see why your wife shakes her head.:)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I have a lot of large trees that are end of line trees and if the circumference is 6 to 8 feet on the tree, then that is a long way for sap to have to travel around the tree unless you put all the drops in right where tubing exits trees. I think the end of the lines were originally designed more for vacuum than gravity and if you have sap traveling around the tree, it is going to cause the quality of the sap in the entire line to be lower quality on gravity, but on vacuum, it wouldn't really matter.

red maples
12-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I like those lapriere slides. they nice nice thanks for the video feeds nate. I might switch those over next year I aint changin 'em this year. I have leader end rings with the T built in for the drop but you can't take them apart they tighten nice but if you need to do work or fallen branches etc. you have to cut it.

MapleChaser
12-27-2009, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=maplwrks;89124]I really like the Lapierre sliders--I started using them on the end tree and now use them on both ends of the line. What I like most about them is, I only need a set of cutters to hang my tubing. I also like the fact that, you can tighten your lines without tools. If you are in an area where you will not need to remove lines for any reason, the end Y is the king. I had a bush go through the '98 ice storm and although, it all collapsed to the ground, it never fell apart and after some serious chainsaw work, I pulled it back up the trees and was ready to go![/QUOTE

How much are the sliders? Who is a dealer in chittenden county. I want to get some. After watching the video it looks like they would be a lot faster. Thanks MC

caseyssugarshack93
12-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Maple guys online have them Or go to lappiere in swanton vermont and buy them If you plan to use them for both ends you are going ot need to buy the hooks for the end ones

I think ill like them too, they seem like they will be alot easier to use and you can uncut them and less spots for a vac leak but i may try some of the ipl end of line hooks too they looks pretty good too, do a little experemnt with some differnt fittings

farmall h
12-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Evening folks..newly registered as of today. Are you folks referring to the dbl end ring. I started replacing all my single "dead-end" rings 'cause of the bacteria in the short piece of tubing beyond the drop "T". All my spouts are 7/16" therefore I order the end ring that will hang the spout. I am liking them.

maplwrks
12-27-2009, 05:42 PM
The hooks for the mainline connection are built on to the slide. They have 2 different setups for the end tree fitting, a strap that goes around the tubing, and a hook that snaps on to the tubing. I have had great success with the straps, they are both the same price, so it's your choice.

I buy a lot of my Lapierre supplies from Dave Mayotte in Fletcher, He's been dealing for Lapierre for ages, and was the only guy for many,many years. He's got excellent service also.

vtsnowedin
12-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Evening folks..newly registered as of today. Are you folks referring to the dbl end ring. I started replacing all my single "dead-end" rings 'cause of the bacteria in the short piece of tubing beyond the drop "T". All my spouts are 7/16" therefore I order the end ring that will hang the spout. I am liking them.
I didn't follow you there. Which one do you mean and what does the spout size have to do with it? They all fit in to 5/16 tubing so you can use any spout or spile you want or am I missing something?

Sugarmaker
12-27-2009, 05:57 PM
farmall h,
Welcome! hope you find some friends on the trader. Lots of maple talk here. Jump in the sap is fine!
Regards,
Chris

farmall h
12-27-2009, 06:08 PM
I guess I'm missing something. You are referring to the plastic tensioners which clamp to the tubing. Sorry, thought you were talking about the eyelet end ring. I visited my neighbor today and he uses the sliders and likes them. He is setting up 600 +_ new taps.

farmall h
12-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Thank's Sugarmaker...had the itch today and set up some new main line!

farmall h
12-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Maybe this is an old topic but what what do you all think about the Rapitube black straps vs. wire?

farmall h
12-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Went back to some past posts on the rapi-tube. Got a good feel for it. May try a stretch.

vtsnowedin
12-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks to all who took time to respond to my question. I think I'll buy a couple of dozen Leader end hooks and perhaps a dozen Lapierre end sliders to get started and go from there. Now I have to move back up the page and decide which spout system to buy. It's a good thing I'm only committed to three hundred taps. It puts a limit on how big a mistake I can make.
She who must be obeyed added it up and let me know that I had spent $3760 on the new sugarhouse so far. I can see a new Kitchen complete with cherry cabinets in my future. :rolleyes:

maple flats
12-29-2009, 05:06 PM
You're lucky the kitchen didn't have to come first!

Homestead Maple
12-29-2009, 09:08 PM
How come they weren't maple cabinets!!

KenWP
12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
I have a $8000 dollar cherry dining room set sitting here that never does much. Hmmmmmmm wonder what that would buy me in the maple world.
I really need to see a real vacuum system to figure out what the hell you guys are actually talking about.

vtsnowedin
12-30-2009, 05:05 AM
How come they weren't maple cabinets!!
What and cut down a good rock maple tap tree in its prime!!! Blasphemy.

vtsnowedin
12-30-2009, 05:09 AM
You're lucky the kitchen didn't have to come first!

So SOOOO Lucky in many ways. She GAVE me this 3x8 for my birthday.:D :D
Also she has put up with all my failings which are legendary for oh so many years.

vtsnowedin
12-30-2009, 05:16 AM
I have a $8000 dollar cherry dining room set sitting here that never does much. Hmmmmmmm wonder what that would buy me in the maple world.
I really need to see a real vacuum system to figure out what the hell you guys are actually talking about.
Now there is your first mistake. You don't have a dining room set. SHE does!!Swap it in for anything less then the down payment on HER new house and your going to be just a damp spot on the sugarhouse floor after she gets through stomping on you.:o