PDA

View Full Version : Help

jbetourney
12-23-2009, 06:44 PM
I have opened a few of my pint plastic jugs and they have a little mold started on the top. Not sure what went wrong, they are from the 2009 season. all my half gallons have been fine no complaints and my qurts seam to be ok. any sugestions of what may have gone wrong would be great.
Thank you,
Jason

KenWP
12-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Why did you open them in the first place. Were they sealed when you opened them.

C.Wilcox
12-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Likely they just weren't sealed as well as the quarts and gallons. Could have happened for any number of reasons (caps weren't on tight enough, syrup wasn't hot enough to create a seal, seal material wasn't in good condition, etc.). Did the mold cause the syrup to have an off-flavor or is it still usable? If it's still in good condition I would remove the mold, reheat, filter, and re-pack. Might want to keep those pints for your personal use...

dschultz
12-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Another thing that would help is after you put the cap on lay them on there side for about a minute so the syrup gets the cap hot for a better seal.

maplwrks
12-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Just like Schultz said---The pints are smaller and dropin temp fast. Try tipping them on their side until they are cool to ensure the seal gets hot enough to seal. Good Luck!!

brookledge
12-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Almost positive it was caused from the syrup not being warm enough. The larger sizes hold more mass and the temps. do not drop as much when filling.
A good fix is to be sure syrup is around 190 when filling small containers and it also helps to have the empty jugs warm. I know when I fill 50ml glass I put the cases of jars in a warming oven to warm them before canning
Keith

howden86
12-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I try to bottle around 200 degrees. Some people say that is overkill but THEY also tell me THEY have to be careful of mold. I don't have a problem, but they still tell how to do it.

3rdgen.maple
12-23-2009, 10:10 PM
185 to 190 is ideal any higher it will start to release niter and leave a little crud on the bottom. I had the same problem with pints a few years ago in plastic jugs also on a few quarts as well. Here is what I found. When those smaller jugs are filled it seems the plastic is a little more pliable. I was screwing my caps on to tight and it was not getting a good seal. After realizing it I could look at the caps on the other ones that were not opened and see that they looked warped. I since take it a little easy when tightening the caps and have had no problems since. If you read the sied of the jugs there is a notation that if mold is present just skim off and reheat and it will be as good as new.

jbetourney
12-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Thank you every one for the thoughts it is very helpfull

farmall h
12-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I too had some mold on a couple gallons (plastic containers). First time ever used them. I found that the seal under the cap wasn't placed properly. The syrup was soured (nasty). Anyway, been using cans for 20+ years with no problem. At least with cans the metal seal is pretty much 100%. Cans may be more $ but at least I don't get any customer complaints. Sticking with cans from here on out!

Haynes Forest Products
12-28-2009, 06:47 PM
I was told that if you get syrup on the lip that it will not seal if your using plastic. I did and I did so I dont like unseen syrup so I stick to the glass.

PerryW
12-30-2009, 08:31 AM
The syrup must be over 180 deg when the cap is scewed on.

I bought a dial thermometer on my filter canner and I stop filling jugs when the temp drops below 185. Fill the jugs completely and immediately turn upside down and set them on their caps (except gallons where you put them on their sides.)