PDA

View Full Version : Little Scum

polygonguy
12-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I just pulled out a small jug that I bottled last March during the season. The seal seemed tight, but it had a tiny scum on the top. The syrup was fine. Any ideas as to why the scum? We just started last year so maybe I didn't something wrong? We strained 3 times...one on pull off from the evaporator...once before the finisher...and once after the finisher before the bottles! It all looked like gold as we bottled. Like I said, the syrup looks fine but there was a tiny scum slick on top. We bottled and sealed it hot from the finisher. I assumed that was correct, right? Any ideas? Thanks!

Russell Lampron
12-23-2009, 06:38 PM
What did you use for a defoamer? Maybe it was butter if used that.

KenWP
12-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Did it foam a lot when you filled the jugs.

polygonguy
12-23-2009, 06:47 PM
I just used a drop or so when needed of defoamer I got from Leader. I don't remember foaming being much of a problem last year.

brookledge
12-23-2009, 08:34 PM
I just posted on the other thread about scum on top of ther syrup.
Pretty sure by the sounds of it that your syrup was not warm enough when canning. Small containers are more sensitive than larger ones as far as cooling off the syrup as it is filling. If you arecanning in the spring and say the empty jug temp is 40 and the syrup is 185, By the time it is fillied and the cap is on the syrup has cooled below 175-180 and that is not hot enough to kill bacteria. If you arecanning small containers try pre heating them. I usually preheat 50ml glass or 8 oz. jugs.
Keith

polygonguy
12-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the info!