PDA

View Full Version : New guy on the block

Maple Ridge
12-22-2009, 02:53 PM
My wife and I are going into our 4th year at this. We look forward to this each year. Although we feel we are doing ok at this, and I plan on bottling and trying to sell this year. I was wondering if there is anything going on where people get together and swap stories and how to information. I am sure there is allot of good information out there. I know that my first time at this was a big learning experience, and have learned allot over the past three years. We would enjoy looking at how other people set up and process. I have seen allot of good ideas, and have learned from reading other forums.

johnallin
12-22-2009, 03:57 PM
David,
You have found the best place on the web for information and ideas. Do a search on just about any question you may have, and I'm pretty sure you will end up with more than you can read in one sitting.

smitty76
12-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Dave,
you and your wife have have come to the right place. If you seach a question with no luck, just start a thread with your question and you will get all kind s of expertise and experience of the topic. Welcome aboard.

Good luck and have fun

Smitty:D

KenWP
12-22-2009, 06:28 PM
You will get so many ideas and answers you will wish you never asked the guestion sometimes. Not that it ever happens to me but.

Maple Ridge
01-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I asked this question on another thread and got no answer. I was wondering if it makes a differance on how you install the tap and drop line. I have see a couple photoes showing the drop line off to a slight angle, and some streight down. Dose it matter?

Sugarmaker
01-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Maple Ridge,
I have some drops straight down and others at a slight angle to better fit the tree or where the tee is located in the line.
Think like sap. Unless its going 90 degrees then I think the drop will work fine. I other words any thing less than horizontal to the ground should work

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Chris

Maple Ridge
01-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Maple Ridge,
I have some drops straight down and others at a slight angle to better fit the tree or where the tee is located in the line.
Think like sap. Unless its going 90 degrees then I think the drop will work fine. I other words any thing less than horizontal to the ground should work

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Chris

Thank you for information. I just didn,t know if it would become air locked in th vertical position.

Smitty
01-13-2010, 10:06 AM
David,
as sugarmaker has said, as long as the drops don't run horizonal u should
be in great shape. as you retap every year, you will be moving the tap
around the tree, so the drop will be different every year, and it seems that
the tee is never in the same place year to year.

good luck, have fun
smitty:)

Haynes Forest Products
01-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Maple Ridge Dr Perkins mentioned drops on the Check valve thread so I asked him to elaborate on the tube placement hope im doing it right

Maple Ridge
01-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Maple Ridge Dr Perkins mentioned drops on the Check valve thread so I asked him to elaborate on the tube placement hope im doing it right

The more information the better. Thank you.

Maple Ridge
02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Saturday my wife and I went to a maple class at Bacons Maple Products in Sydney and it was great. They were very knowledgeable, and presented the class in a structured way. We pick up a few good tips. It was worth going to.

baconfarm
02-10-2010, 11:31 AM
David V. We are so glad that you enjoyed yourself. Hope that you took away some great ideas to take to your sugarbush and make it better. Any questions please let us know. Happy Sappin'.:)