PDA

View Full Version : Forest Management Plan for Maple Syrup Production

sgsommers
12-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Does anyone have a forest management plan geared directly towards the production of maple syrup. If possible I would like to look at one. I am trying to put a piece of property into CAUV but the first step in this particular county is to first have a forest management plan in place since it is all wooded land. I have contacted the state forester and he will not prepare the plan but a consulting forester can. I talked to a consultant but maple production did not seem to be there area of expertise.

Anyone have any sugestions or ideas??

I am going to try a different consultant but I have a feeling I will get the same response.

Thanks
Steve

maplehound
12-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Contact Dave Hively, our vice president of Ohio Maple Producers. He is very active in helping others get these set up and may be able to sugest how to do it. I believe his is set up for Maple production.

brookledge
12-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Steve
I would recommend you read the N.A. Maple Syrup producers manual. Chapter 5 goes into great detail on managing maple trees for sap production.
Dr. Randall Heiligmann and Dr Gary Graham both from Ohio State University where two of the authors of that chapter.
I think you can read the NAMSPM online also through the Ohio St. U also
Keith

jason grossman
12-22-2009, 07:27 PM
steve , if you would like i can help with that! i have a degree in forestry and over a decade in the logging industry. i provide this service for people. my woodlot management plan is specific for timber production and maple syrup.

sgsommers
12-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Jason are you a certified consultant through the state of Ohio? I guess that is one of the requirements. It would be very nice to have someone help/do the management plan that has a strong background in both fields.

I have not heard back from the other forester that I left message.

I would like to thank the other traders for their input also.

Steve

jason grossman
12-26-2009, 02:22 PM
NO i am not a certified consultant. the funny thing about anything outdoors in ohio is you don't have to be certified to do anything! i was a certified master logger in ohio for thirteen years, but i didn't have to be. i have a degree in forest management but i don't have to. that's one of the problems in ohio! we don't even have to be checked to make syrup like the other states!! if you are a certified tree farm then a tree farm inspector needs to do your paperwork. I have a very high standard of work and sometimes you'll get a lot of fly by nighters or hacks as i call them that ruin it for the guys who are really trying to do good and honestly help people.!!! also don't be fooled by people with fancy titles or initals after there name. i have dealt with alot of them and there are some that are not any better than hacks with fancy titles!!!!!!! if you would like some names of good people down your way i'll send you some, but sugarbush management is not a strength of most.