PDA

View Full Version : open top barrels

sapman
12-21-2009, 06:27 PM
A friend has a lead on used, food-grade, epoxy-lined barrels. They are open top, with a tight fitting lid, gasket, and locking band. Anyone have any experience with these, whether they seal well or not? They apparently used to contain corn syrup.

Thanks,
Tim

Haynes Forest Products
12-22-2009, 08:50 AM
If they didnt seal well the company that made them would be out of buisness:rolleyes: What shape is the seal in and does the locking coller still get good and tight?

red maples
12-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I just bought one of those to make a compster. I want to put it next to the house for winter so I don't have to trek out to the compost pile!!! was $20.

Rhino
12-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Sapman, besides the traditional "bung" barrels, we also use open tops. They are nice to dump syrup in and they seal good if your seal around the lids are in good shape yet. We use both types of lids, one that you tighten a bolt to press the ring on the lid and the type that you pull the handle across the face of the lid and lock it in place. Our syrup buyer never had a problem with them. Hope they work out for you as well.

sapman
12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks, guys! Sounds like these will work, then. Friend said it looked in good shape, haven't seen them myself, but will definitely check them out. They sound like the cam style latch, from what I heard.

Tim