PDA

View Full Version : Sucked in containers

backyardsugarer
12-21-2009, 11:04 AM
I bottled up some syrup the other night and after cooling all of the half gallons had a dent in them. None of the other sizes had that. Thoughts?

Chris

gator330
12-21-2009, 11:23 AM
You got a good seal!!! I've had a few do that in the past, nothing that I would worry about.

smitty76
12-21-2009, 11:26 AM
You got a good seal!!! I've had a few do that in the past, nothing that I would worry about.

I'VE HAD THE SAME THING. IT IS OK.

Maplebrook
12-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Chris,

I have had the same thing happen. I talked to a big producer and he said watch the fill volume and the temperature of the syrup. He used a bottler so the syrup was 182 degrees and filled to the correct volume. The head space is critical as it contracts as it cools. Too hot or too little head space and it sucks the sides in. Doesn't hurt it, but doesn't look good either. People think they're getting rooked.
Darren

KenWP
12-21-2009, 04:52 PM
How cold a place are you storeing the sucked in jugs. Put them in a warm place and they will expand back out.

Russell Lampron
12-21-2009, 05:02 PM
You might not have filled the jugs full enough. I have had that happen with partly filled jugs that I put the left over syrup in when I am done canning.

maple flats
12-21-2009, 05:13 PM
That is my thought too, did you fill them enough? If the "sucked in" jugs show a lot of indent likely they were underfilled, if it is rather slight it is normal.

sapman
12-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm sure this isn't your situation, but jugs will often dent if laid on their side to cool, and are left that way until fully cooled.

Tim

backyardsugarer
12-22-2009, 07:10 AM
They were filled to the top. Guess I just have a good seal and will have to live with it. I don't think it will stop people from buying them unless they are for gifts.

Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-24-2009, 06:55 AM
I always use Sugarhill jugs and stand them on their lids for aprox 60 seconds after filling them and have never had a problem with dents and if I have a bad lid or seal, it shows up. Not normally a problem on the quarts, but the pints can be a bear from time to time. Seems the molds on the pints are more of a problem for Sugarhill as the lids like to strip out from time to time.