PDA

View Full Version : vac cylinders

PATheron
12-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Question- When running vac a long ways to the releaser Ive seen where some guys use a vac tank to suppliment the vac at the releaser and further out while dumping. Should the tank be located after the releaser or before? Ive never been in the situation where Ive had to do it before and wondered how others have made out with them. Theron

Haynes Forest Products
12-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Before the releaser. You can make a tank out of 6" PVC, caps and 2 threaded barb fittings. Just drill ot a smaller hole than the threads and clue and twist in the fitting lay it on the ground and then run a line to the releaser. Keep it simple. As close to the intake as possible but keep it simple

PATheron
12-21-2009, 05:18 AM
Haynes- That was actually how I was thinking about doing it. Just wasnt sure where to place it. Now whats the scoop with the guys putting the manufactured ones on the line side of the releaser? Is it to supply vac to the trees while its dumping? Thanks, Theron

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Theron,
Not 100% on this but I know in a dairy situation, the tanks act as a balance to help maintain a consistent vacuum. The larger the volume of vacuum (yeah, I know haynes...the volume of nothing there) the less that a leak or disruption in suction will lower the vacuum level. Basically, a larger diameter pipe will do the same thing.
Doug

maplwrks
12-21-2009, 06:47 AM
I have a real heavy galvanized barrel that I am going to use as a vacuum tank / moisture trap. If possible, you should try to put a drain on your vacuum tank.

Jim Brown
12-21-2009, 07:54 AM
maplwrks; Don't use the barrel I thought like the rest on here I'd make a vac tank out of a 135 gallon 3/8th inch SS tank with a lid. Worked great for about 1 minute until vac reached 25 inches and the side caved in like a pop can. Better to use large dia PVC with caps on the end it will take 25 inches with no problems

just our two cents

Jim