PDA

View Full Version : Interior Ceiling

backyardsugarer
12-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I almost have my walls done (Pine tongue and groove) and it is starting to come together. I was thinking about going with 1/2" decorative plywood on the ceiling. Is the moisture going to bother it? Would I have the seal it? Should I just keep going with the tongue and groove? Thoughts.

Chris

Haynes Forest Products
12-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Whats cheaper? The ply could start to delaminate if the wrong glue is used. Every time the evap is fired up and shut down the walls and ceiling will go thru cycles of hot, cold, dry, wet, shrink and dry out so do what will stand up the most. I wonder if sealing it wont trap the moisture in longer and stain all to hell and look like crap so I would leave it alone BUT lets hear from the people that have done it

backyardsugarer
12-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Plywood is a little cheaper and would go up a lot faster. However if it is going to fall apart i will stay away from it.

Chris

tuckermtn
12-19-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't have any expereince with the plywood on the ceiling, but my T N G pine has been up a couple of seasons (put it under the alum. roof to cut down on condinsation) and still looks good. I would be nervous about the glues used. would the hot steam cause glues to leach out of plywood or an OSB and possibly drip back into the pan? I have no clue as I'm not a materials guru- but I like the "straight stuff".

I do have "gutters" under my collar ties- essentially 2" pvc pipe cut in half, tilted to one side...keeps drips off to the side...

my $.02 worth...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-20-2009, 10:26 AM
My walls on my sugarhouse are OSB and in 4 seasons, look like brand new and would guess this will look the same in 30 more years. I don't have a ceiling in but in the future if I add one, it will likely be OSB. Unless you are using oil and have no heat in the sugarhouse. a sugarhouse with walls and ceiling even if they are not insulated will heat up really fast with an wood fired arch. My sugarhouse is 24x48 with no ceiling, metal roof, no insulation in walls and it gets up to 70 degrees on colder days and 80+ on warm days with only a 2x8 evaporator heating it, so the heat dries up any moisture that came from startup really fast.

Fred Henderson
12-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Leave the walls and ceiling open. Closeing it just makes for the greatest place for mice to build nest and live. Evry time you go into that SH it will smell like mouse peep because that is what is inside the walls. In my SH each year before startup I dust down everything walls, ceiling ,etc,

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-20-2009, 07:23 PM
I have been fortunate and maybe I don't have a place for mice to get in but in 4.5 years, I have never had a mouse in the sugarhouse but see them every year in the wood shed outside of the main building.

backyardsugarer
12-21-2009, 09:10 AM
I am almost done so I am not going to tear it down in fear of mice. Look like I will be investing in Decon in the off season.

Chris

3rdgen.maple
12-21-2009, 03:22 PM
If you are gona enclose the rafters with a ceiling make darn sure ther is ventilation between the roof and the ceiling. Breathable soffit etc. You will get moisture issues in that area and mold. It needs to breath.