PDA

View Full Version : questions

twstate
02-07-2005, 11:40 AM
first of all on my small barrell evap, it has a tin pan, and I wanted to know what to use or if the ss pan cleaner works for tin cleaning?

Second I bought a used "stock tank" to hold sap, but the guys hadn't used it in a couple years... so I need to clean it up and was wondering what to clean that with and if I should get some food grade paint for it... if so where do they sell that?

hope not too many questions.... thanks in advance for advise... AGAIN :D

backyardsugarer
02-07-2005, 11:44 AM
The only answer I can give you for sure is to clean the tank with bleach and lots of water. Rinse it out real good after you are done but do not use soap as it will not evaporate away.

Chris

DirtPoor
02-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Don't use stainless cleaner in your pan , use vinegar and water , Sherwin Willams sells a food grade pant , a pretty robins egg blue in color.
Good luck.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I bought a 32 gallon rubermaid storage container from Walmart last year with a lid for $8.00. They had the 50 gallon for a little over $ 10 and I used one entire season last year for 8 taps I had on one lateral line and the bacteria was low and it cleaned up really nice.

Great invest for $ 8 and I just drilled a small hole in the lid and put the lateral line inside! :wink: :wink:

brookledge
02-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Another important thing is that if you use a strong cleaner it will expose the lead in the solder and will give you a high lead content in your syrup. You are better off having a light coating of sugar sand covering the solder. When my syrup had been tested for lead I had a low reading even though my pans had lead solder. Any pan made before (I think) 1988 still had lead in the solder. That is why so many people have replaced their equipment in recent years. I know that the allowable parts per billion is around 200 and may be lower now. It probably won't hurt an adult but you wouldn't want to give syrup with a high level of lead to children. Just something to keep in mind.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Can't beat the good old Dawn dish detergent. Works great with a little elbow grease and then rinse it really good. Just like cleaning dishes in the sink, you don't taste it in the food! :D