PDA

View Full Version : Grading kits

briduhunt
12-17-2009, 09:51 AM
I am looking to purchase a grading kit this year but everyone that sells them are out of stock and they are for 2009. When does the 2010 kits come out and how much of a change is there going to be each year. It seems a little strange that one might purchase a new grading kit each year.

By the way I live in NY and most of the kits I see are for Vermount.

red maples
12-17-2009, 09:59 AM
I ordered mine back in July For 2010 and it was on back order I think I got mine sometime in september or october. I don't remember exactly. and that was from bascom's. I ordered early on purpose so I wouldn't have to worry about it now. where all did you check??? mine is for vermont too. If I am not mistakin' (which 1/2 the time I am) the color chart is pretty standard no matter where you are!!!

Jazzman
12-17-2009, 10:23 AM
I was told when I purchased my grading kit that it was only good for 2 years.

3rdgen.maple
12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Birduhunt you can go to the maple conference in verona this year and they willl have them there and you can check out all the latest and greatest maple stuff and attend some seminars as well. Usually some pretty good deals floating around. THe temporary grade kits are only good for a year because the color changes ever so slightly throughout time and therefore are not accurate after one season. Well atleast that is what they say. The vermont color standards are the only ones you will find and are the ones everyone uses. I think if any of you are thinking about spending the big bucks on the permanent grade kits I would hold of for now and wait and see how this standardizing of grading syrup turns out.

briduhunt
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the responses. I will be attending the Veronia Conference and I did so last year but I did not remember seeing and of the kits there that weekend.

DrTimPerkins
12-17-2009, 08:08 PM
I was told when I purchased my grading kit that it was only good for 2 years.

Grading kits are a temporary visual guide to syrup grade. They are temporary because they tend to lighten upon exposure to warm temperature and to light (much like the curtains in your house fade with sun exposure). They are meant to be replaced each season. If you're having a hard time making light syrup according to your grading kit, check to see what year kit you're using. If it's from several years back, it just might be easier to make that grade using a new kit.

The alternative is to get a permanent grading kit....if you're willing to part with a good chuck of $.

Tim P.
UVM PMRC

brookledge
12-17-2009, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't buy a permenant one until the IMSC and everyone decides on the new grades.
Keith

PerryW
12-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I get 2-3 years out of my temporary kits. Just keep the cover on when not in use to protect against light. You can always check your old kit against a new one to see if it has faded.

3rdgen.maple
12-18-2009, 02:18 PM
You could check it against a new one Perry but heck if you got the new one to check it mine as well throw the old one out:D

PerryW
12-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Actually 3rdgan, I'm waaay too cheap for buying anything new. I was thinking of driving over to your sugarhouse and checking my old grade kit against YOUR new one. I could also switch the caps when you weren't looking and walk away with a free grade kit.

3rdgen.maple
12-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Ahh heck Perry if you really wanted to drive that far I would give you the gradekit. Im not paying for the gas for the trip here.LOL I hear you though I get cheap myself and the little things like a new grade kit every year feels like wasted money.

KenWP
12-18-2009, 06:00 PM
I am makeing my own gradeing kit. Has 4 colors and will let me know if I am darker or lighter then last years grades. I hopefully end up with 4 more colors this next spring.