PDA

View Full Version : smoke stack heat exchanger??

twobears1224
12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
ok guys..i,am boried and thinking way to much again...next question. :D
if you where to build and use a heat exchanged in the smoke stack what would you use for the blower and where would you place it?? and how would you route the lines??

for draft air top and bottom..

and to preheat the sap...

delbert

KenWP
12-16-2009, 08:43 PM
You can't possibly be married with this much time on your hands. They used to make a gizmo for wood stoves that heated water and air off the stack at one time.

3rdgen.maple
12-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Heck twobears next thing I know you are gonna ask us how to cut a door in your stack base and attach a grate so you can smoke turkeys in it while you are boiling. :D Man now that I said that I think I might try it.

vtsnowedin
12-16-2009, 11:58 PM
ok guys..i,am boried and thinking way to much again...next question. :D
if you where to build and use a heat exchanged in the smoke stack what would you use for the blower and where would you place it?? and how would you route the lines??

for draft air top and bottom..

and to preheat the sap...

delbert

:cool:
Wood chopper here so make allowances.
Blower 1/2 hp ,on the floor at rear of arch, rheostat controlled, duct pipe or pipes run up from blower tight to outside of stack taper up to about one foot below the start of round stack. Then elbowed into the stack and back down to the arch in the middle of the taper so that pipes are exposed to hot stack gas on all sides. Then turn ninety degrees to run flat up the sides of the bricks on the arch sides to the fire box. Then step down in pipe size as each nozzle is deployed to 3/8"nozzles to the top of the fire.
This sounds good but it's a lot of pipe and time to try it. I'm going to think about it for a while.

red maples
12-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Heck twobears next thing I know you are gonna ask us how to cut a door in your stack base and attach a grate so you can smoke turkeys in it while you are boiling. :D Man now that I said that I think I might try it.

yeah know thought about it already!!! not so much the smoking part but a little metal box that the stack goes through big enoughto heat up say ...hot dogs, hamburgers, a little venison roast, maybe bake some chicken. then your making breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night snack, midnight meal, early morning well you get the point. depends on how much time your spending in there right!!!

your probably looking for home made but here is some store bought ones for some ideas.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/category/fans-blowers.asp

3rdgen.maple
12-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Red I have seen guys build a stainless steel box and clamp it to the outside of their stack with giant hose clamps and they cook their lunch in it. Been a long time since then though.