PDA

View Full Version : Gast 0440 pump

KenWP
12-16-2009, 05:24 PM
In my adventures I seemed to have got my hands on a Gast Model 0440 vacuum pump. Sort of ticked me off as I thought it was a water pump I could use for sap. Now what is it good for if anything.
The specs from the GAST web site say something like 15 inchs HG,4.0 CFM and 10 PSI. Is it of any use for maple of is it too small and if so what pray tell was it used for.
Thought I had my head tank fill problems for a 5 foot she who must be obeyed solved.

nymapleguy607
12-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Ken
just pick up a releaser and you could put your trees on vacuum

Haynes Forest Products
12-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I looked it up and it looks bigger than the specs you quoted. I have the same size pump and I pull 26Hgs and I dont care about the HGs. Its really a simple concept that if you have a vacuum pump on 1000 taps and you are getting 25 HGs and the pump is only rated at 1 CFM you are good:o These pumps were used for vacuum sealing, vacuum lifts and maple syrup production the sucking of sap lines in the woods:rolleyes:

KenWP
12-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I am going to have to see one set up now. This has me wondering just what I got myself into this time. One guestion if you use a vacuum tank a realeaser is not needed right. The tank fills due to being sucked empty if my heads working right.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Yup Ken, That's what the guys use the zero vacuum tanks for.

Brent
12-17-2009, 11:42 AM
You've got to watch the vacuum tank. If it fills and you suck sap into the pump you're in deep KaKa. The few releaser tanks that I've seen have a float valve the would close off the line to the pump if the tank overfilled.

Brent
12-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Ken

here's the link for the manual on that series pump

http://www.gastmfg.com/pdf/OM/40_series_lubricated_om.pdf

If it is low on suction, a rebuild kit for the vanes is just under $ 100 US. plus shipping, customs, etc.

You can get it in Canada from Wainbee. The kit for my Gast is priced at
$ 164 Cdn and Wainbee had them in stock.
bmcdougall@wainbee.com

Brent
12-17-2009, 01:13 PM
the way I read the Gast specs, if it is a dry pump it could get 20" and if it oil lubricated it only gets 15.

I read somewhere, likely on this forum, that every 1" of vac increases the yield 5%.

Haynes Forest Products
12-17-2009, 01:29 PM
My Gast pump pulls 26" dead headed and on the lines my releaser is showing 24". I wouldnt think the vanes are worn out. Look inside the discharge jar and see how dirty it is. The jar is both a muffler and a dust catch all. You wont hurt that pump closing off the intake and running it tp check the numbers.

Haynes Forest Products
12-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Ken You want to have the mainline come in on the top of the tank... Dont fall for the old trick of trying to bring it in low.

KenWP
12-17-2009, 06:26 PM
I have milked cows so the set up of the tank is pretty simple compared to a realeaser just have to figure out how to do it. Of course I never did anything simple in my life. With dail up trying to get to some info is a pain in the fesses.