PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever cut half firebricks on a table saw?

heus
12-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Do they sell masonry blades that fit in a 10" table saw? Seems like this would be easier than using a circular saw.

Gary R
12-14-2009, 08:49 PM
I don't think I'd like to expose my table saw to that kind of dust. Your only cutting brick thats about 1" thick. Check into a diamond blade for an angle head grinder. A steady hand and you can cut any angle you want.

jrthe3
12-14-2009, 09:05 PM
i use a 4 inch grinder with a masonary fiber cutting wheel like 2 or 3 dollars each

Haynes Forest Products
12-15-2009, 01:38 AM
I have taken a circular saw and plunge cut it into a piece of plywood changed out the blade with a masonary blade and then screwed it to the wood and made a quick fence out of a 2x4 put it on a few saw horses and off you go. If you keep the saw blade hole small the dust doesnt invade the saw to bad.

802maple
12-15-2009, 04:17 AM
I use a 4" mason's chisel, score one side, tip it over and score the other and give it a good thump and it breaks pretty much where you want it to.

BarrelBoiler
12-15-2009, 05:21 AM
i had to rebrick my wood stove this weekend -checked here for other posts on how to cut the brick- bought a seven inch masonary cutting disk and used my old black and decker saw- set up a jig to hold the brick still and to let the bladerun free under the brick. the job still involved a lot of passes so as to not heat up the disk too much but it worked. i wanted a smooth edge so after working most of the way through i flipped the brick over to finish the job. had to cut two pieces the first one wqs betterthan the second-got overconfident by success of the first paticence is nessary for a good close tolerance cut

KenWP
12-15-2009, 06:07 AM
I own the world largest collection of electric saws. I buy them for a couple of bucks at garage sales and auctions and use them for what ever. I cut metal with one for years and for $2 bucks it's still kicking. They are tougher then they look and cheap to buy untill you go to a 8 inch blade.

jtthibodeau
12-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Small amounts of water , such as from a spray bottle, will keep the dust down. But, using a table saw, with the cutting blade under the brick makes that difficult. One way that may be helpful is if you try soaking the brick/bricks in water prior to cutting on a table saw.

Dave Y
12-15-2009, 08:22 AM
go to your local rental store and rent a wet saw. it will do the best job for you. The fee will be worth the agravtion saved.

maple flats
12-15-2009, 11:56 AM
I do like 802 does. Try it. It is fairly easy. Another thing that helps if you have trouble is to have a carbide scoring tool ( scribe, chissel, anything with a carbide sort of sharp edge, I make my own by brazing a carbide saw tooth to a piece of flat stock. These last a long time and I have the tips to re tip my blade on my swingblade sawmill)

PerryW
12-15-2009, 01:36 PM
I cut the 2" firebrick in half using a hammer and chisel. Just score it on both sides then lay the brick between two blocks of wood and whack it in the middle. Very little dust this way.

Or for a better edge, score it lightly with a skil saw w/masonry blade (freehand) then whack it between 2 blocks.