PDA

View Full Version : Old tubing

nymapleguy607
12-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Does anyone know if old tubing can be recycled. I plan on taking some down and thought maybe it could be recycled rather than going to the land fill.
Does anyone have any expierience?
Thanks
Jeff

PerryW
12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
I would try to sell it or give it away. Much of my tubing and almost all of the taps were bought used.

KenWP
12-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Man if I was closer would come take it down for you. I would hate to buy a 500 foot roll of tube just to cut into 2 foot peices like I have to do here come march.

sapman
12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Dr. Tim Wilmot had an article about recycling in Farming, I think. Didn't sound like it's accepted at this time, but he was trying to get something going in that direction, if I recall correctly.

Tim

smitty76
12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
I would try to sell it also. Alot of small timers use it to get going, I know I did.

sapman
12-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Old tubing makes good tree wraparounds to put wire through, 1/2"+ for mainline, and 5/16ths for tie-backs. That's what I've been doing with a bunch this year.

Tim

Haynes Forest Products
12-15-2009, 01:34 AM
You talk about a fire starter a buddy fills pig feed bags with all the take down tubing and fires his evap in the morning to get things going looks like an old coal train engine.:evil:

nymapleguy607
12-15-2009, 05:19 PM
You talk about a fire starter a buddy fills pig feed bags with all the take down tubing and fires his evap in the morning to get things going looks like an old coal train engine.:evil:

I would be worried that some chemical in the tubing would start eating holes in the pans....I think I will try and use some for tie backs and hang on to the rest you never know when you might need a piece.

Randy Brutkoski
12-16-2009, 05:20 PM
I knew a guy that used to start his fire with old U.S. maple tubing. And did it burn, and hot at that. But wow, what a huge black cloud it made in the sky. He said it did nothing to hurt the syrup or the pan.

Haynes Forest Products
12-16-2009, 07:02 PM
My buddie said that he thru a bag of sap lines in during a full boil and it supper heated the pans and he had his pans boiling over the sides in all his pans.

DrTimPerkins
12-16-2009, 07:18 PM
I would be worried that some chemical in the tubing would start eating holes in the pans.

Three quick notes to this thread.

1. Burning plastics is almost certainly illegal. Burning PVC (and some other types of plastics) releases dioxins, which are incredibly toxic.
2. I'd be concerned about the smoke getting into and causing an off-flavor into the syrup.
3. I've personally seen pans with chemical corrosion pitting that caused such severe pinholes that new welded SS pans were essentially destroyed in 4 seasons. The pans had so many holes they couldn't be repaired. Most likely cause....burning tubing and pressure-treated wood. See attached photo.

Tim P.
UVM PMRC

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Dr. Perkins,

You are a real expert and a true wealth of very important maple information for the industry and your expertise is truly invaluable and a big thank you for taking the time out to help so many on this website.

YOU ARE A TRUE BLESSING TO THE MEMBERS ON HERE AND THE INDUSTRY AS A WHOLE and thanks so much for everything you have done in the past and will continue to do in the future. What you do helps make this industry so much better and safer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!