PDA

View Full Version : Looking for answers

smitty76
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM
I am thinking about building a piggyback/steam away for the 2011 season and wondered if any of you have heard, seen or know if 5000 series aluminum would be safe alternative to stainless. I want to use it because it is cheaper to purchase and lighter but it is harder to clean. Any thoughts would be great, good or bad.

THANKS, SMITTY

nymapleguy607
12-14-2009, 04:33 PM
I am by far not an expert but here are my thoughts and concerns. How well does this grade aluminum take the heat? How easy is it to work with? What do you plan on making the steam tubes from? Aluminum and copper can corrode one an another. Also aluminum tends to disapated heat fairly quickly
So it maybe counter productive.
Just my 2 Cents
Jeff

Bucket Head
12-14-2009, 04:45 PM
I would'nt use aluminum. Other than hoods, there is no factory made equipment made of aluminum. There has to be a reason. I know aluminum oxidizes, but that might not be the exact or only reason those folks stay away from it. I don't think its reccomended to expose a food product to aluminum for as long as it takes to boil sap and at such high temps. I remember years ago eating some "frazzled" camp food made in an aluminum pan and it had a "mettalic" taste to it. Despite its cost and weight, I would stick to stainless. Its what restaurants and commercial kitchens go with. Maple producers should do the same, just to be safe.

Theres my two cents worth. Anyone else?

The "harder to clean" part would be enough to keep me away from it. Its hard enough trying to keep this equipment clean!

Steve

smitty76
12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
I work with this grade plus several others every day at work. It is by far easy to work with and should handle the heat just fine. it will be all alum and no copper. the fact that it transfers heat so well is a good thingas it will transfer more heat thru it. I was more worried about the alum releaseing its alloy components into the sap. I have heard pros and cons from both sides but none of them are concrete true, there is no proven evidence of it. or at least that I have found. Your out of chemung county. not that far from here. thank you for your imput. I have a feeling that I am going to fab this out of stainless.

3% Solution
12-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Smitty,
Go with the stainless, it looks good forever.
It's rugged and will stand-up to many years of use.
Not only that but it just looks NICE!!!!!!

Dave

smitty76
12-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks Guys, I guess I knew I should go with stainless but was interested in others opinions.
by the way, 3%, stainless does look goooooood. Any of you going to the jan 8-9 conference? If so, see ya there.

Bucket Head
12-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Yes, I'm going. I can't wait. I look forward to it each year!

Steve

nymapleguy607
12-15-2009, 04:59 PM
I will be at the conference. Looking foreward to it. Has anyone heard what workshops will be held?

moeh1
12-16-2009, 06:09 AM
Cornell has a list up on the website, looks like some interesting topics, probably losing all the formatting here:
Research Session – Moderator – Brian Chabot
Climate change and maple production, Brian Chabot, Cornell Maple Program
Check valve spout research update, Tim Perkins, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center
RO concentration and taste qualities of syrup, Tim Perkins, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center
Interesting events in the history of maple production – Carl Stearns, Stearns Farm
Confection Session – Moderator – Lutie Batt
Maple confections for the beginner, Reed Baker, Baker’s Maple Products
Confection demonstrations, Terry Laubisch, Flyway Farm, Paul and Bonnie Yok, Baldwin Hill Farm
LLC
Making Maple Suckers, Dwayne Hill, Shaver Hill Farm
Confection demonstration, Stephen Childs, Cornell Maple Program
Marketing Session –Moderator - Michele Ledoux
The New York State Fair reveals a wealth of market information – Dave Schiek
Natural Certification for maple – Caroline Foote, Maple Hill Farm Enterprises
Fall Maple Promotion, what worked for us in 2009 – Chuck Winship, Pam Masterson, Sugarbush
Hollow LLC
More tips for marketing, Michele Ledoux, CCE of Lewis County
Forestry Session –Moderator- Pete Smallidge, Cornell Maple Program
Controlling beach in the sugar bush, Peter Smallidge, Cornell Maple Program
Pasturing the sugar bush for vegetation control and added income, Brett Chedzoy, CCE Schuyler County
Flame weeding, Peter Smallidge, Cornell Maple Program
Sugar bush thinning, Peter Smallidge, Cornell Maple Program
Production Systems Session – Moderator – Steve Childs
Tubing systems and tap hole sanitation – Steve Childs, Cornell Maple Program
Improving production at Breezie Maple Farm – Rick Newman, Breezie Maples Farm
Filtering syrup panel of producers
Creating gift baskets, Kathy and Lane Clute, Clute’s Maple Products
Commercial Session – Moderator – Brett Chedzoy
The latest on vacuum and spouts, Glen Goodrich, Goodrich Maple Farm
Sugarhouse management tips – Brad Gillian, Leader Evaporator
Facts and figures about wood fired Force-5 evaporator, Jean-Fran (Jeff) Goulet, LaPierre Inc.
Gas wells and leases – what a maple producer should know, Brett Chedzoy, CCE Schuyler County
Industry Session – Moderator – Mike Farrell, afternoon only
Survey results of NYS Maple Producers- Mike Farrell, Cornell Maple Program
Thoughts and attitudes of NYS landowners towards the maple industry- Mike Farrell, Cornell Maple
Program
Business Management Session – Moderator -JJ Schell
Packaging and displays for better sales– Helen Thomas, Maxon Estate Farms
Business plans and record keeping: Are they the missing links?– Jeff Perry, NY FarmNet
Turning your hobby into a profitable business, JJ Schell, CCE Oswego County Remote collection station
satellite monitoring system, Robert Crooks, MARCLAND
Beginner Tubing Demo – In the hallway, David Hill, Shaver Hill Maple

smitty76
12-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Wish I Could Hit Them All. We Have 4 Of Use That Work Our Sugarbush Going And We Will All Take Different Work Shops,trying To Make The Most Of It. We Are Also Excited To Go And The Start Of The Season Is About Upon Us.