PDA

View Full Version : which booster

howden86
12-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I am planning on adding a wet dry system this year. My question is which type of booster should I use. I made some out of pvc fittings like leader suggests but they are now sitting in my barn and it sounds better by seperating the sap but it also has 13 points of leaking ( i am starting to hear some nightmares with them) and no flexibility or using a loop of hose as others do from the dry to the wet. It sounds not as good but it is simple and had flexibilty in case a limb hits the line and easy to fix if needed.

Thanks

Tom

Haynes Forest Products
12-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Im a little confused as far as what your trying to do?

howden86
12-09-2009, 11:37 PM
which type of vaccum booster do I use. pvc fittings or the loop of hose.

KenWP
12-10-2009, 05:55 AM
I am confused on the 13 points of leaking. Did you not use glue to put them together. As long as you have boosters your away on the project not matter which you use.

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
12-10-2009, 06:21 AM
I use the pvc boosters. The biggest reason I use them is because the 2" tee is drilled and tapped and a vacuum guage installed so I can shut off the valve going to the 3/4 line and see if I have any leaks on that particular line. I have had a few freeze and break which is a disadvantage. As far as the PVC booster leaking, I also use silicone along with the glue on all of the joints. The other style of booster using Y fittings and short loops seems like it would be more durable, but then there isn't a vacuum guage to check for leaks.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Howden,
Either system will work. If you have some PVC connectors made up already, make use of them. Teflon tape any of the threaded joints to limit leaks. I buy a couple of tubes of food grade stuff to be able to smear on small leaks in joints. Once you get the system up, "test drive" it before season to find and eliminate as many leaks as possible.

Haynes Forest Products
12-10-2009, 09:19 AM
I would glue up your VACUUM BREAKER/ANTI SIPHON/RESIVOIRS in a clean area so you dont incorperate crap in the joints. If your using PVC use the primer and use plenty of glue on both sides and as a final percaution take the brush and circle the outer joint to clean it up. DID you know that PVC is not for domestic water systems. That it will impart a slight taste to the liquid that sits in it over time.

sapman
12-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I use the pvc boosters. The biggest reason I use them is because the 2" tee is drilled and tapped and a vacuum guage installed so I can shut off the valve going to the 3/4 line and see if I have any leaks on that particular line. , but then there isn't a vacuum guage to check for leaks.

After talking with Brad from Leader last year, I put my vacuum gauges in my dry line. I had never thought of that. It wouldn't matter which booster/connector you use then. Works for me.

Tim

mtnmeadowmplfarm
12-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I use manifolds, or 'boosters' that are constructed of all stainless steel fiitings, except for the brass ball valvles. These have a vacuum guage mounted to the top to check for leaks. All the joints are treated with pipe dope and teflon tape. They are worth the money, no leaks and easier to clean.