PDA

View Full Version : two 500 gal or one 1000 gal tank?

tuckermtn
12-09-2009, 03:25 PM
looking to get more sap storage- these would be set up to feed my RO. Looking for approx. 1000 gals (we should have around 1000 taps)

question is would you rather have two 500 gal tanks or one 1000 gal tank? with two 500s, both would be plumbed and valved to a single feed line.

another question-

any one heat tape their feed line? if so, do you use copper/stainless pipe or heat the plastic mainline?

thanks

-eric

caseyssugarshack93
12-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Id get a 1000 for the feed for the r/o then have like a 500 gal for the premate then wither a other 500 for backup or a 200gal feed tank is what id doo

Tuckermnt, You must of added quite a few more taps since last year ? DOING GOOD! keep it up

Dave Y
12-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Tuckermtn,
All ways go with the bigger tanks, less work and fewer things to worry about. I have used heat tape on my feed line with little success. The dont seem to get warm enuff. I am building an insulated box around mine and will put a 100 watt light bulb in there for heat.

Russell Lampron
12-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Like others have said I would go with the single 1000 gallon tank rather than 2 500 gallon tanks. Less plumbing equals fewer problems. If you have a 700 gallon run you only have to wash 1 tank not 2.

I have never used heat tape. I try to set things up so that the pipe drains completely when the tank is emptied.

KenWP
12-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Heat tapes work good if you set them up that the sensor is always at the coldest spot. If the sensor is warm enough the line can freeze and the tape not even warm up. Lived in a stupid trailer for years.
I like the light blub idea better as it will alwasy work not matter the temp and cheap to replace. I brooded chickens for years with a 100 watt light bulb instead of heat lamps. Just have to keep the heat in.

sapman
12-09-2009, 11:43 PM
As far as heat tapes go, as someone who has worked with water for 20+ years, I recommend using Frostex brand, if you have to have a heat tape. I don't like heat tapes at all, unless absolutely necessary. The frostex has a stainless mesh around the outside, and you buy the tape to length, and a kit separately to make up the plug. They don't use a thermostat.

Tim

3% Solution
12-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Tuckermtn,
Maybe sapman will disagree with me but here goes; because of my past experience as a firefighter, I wold never put a heat tape on a plastic pipe.
Use copper and you'll be good to go with the heat tape.
Now, I hate heat tapes, I like the idea of the 100 watt bulb if possible.
I'd go with 2 500's, if for some reason one freezes up or pops a leak, you've got the other.
But then, I guess it's all up to you!

Dave