PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Sides and Stack

backyardsugarer
12-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Are stainess sides and stack worth the $ 700 upcharge on most models?

Chris

The Birdman
12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
They work just as good without the stainless but they last a little longer and look alot better with it. So I would have to say no.

KenWP
12-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Sort of like is a corvette worth more then a Toyota when it comes to utility. Corvette might get you cuter females but Toyota lets you retire with money in your pocket.

3rdgen.maple
12-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Here's my take on it. The stainless steel arch and stack will hold it's value alot longer than a rusted out galvanized arch will. Second if you plan on keeping it for a long time you are gonna wish you got the stainless steel. I would definately go with the stainless stack as the regular stack has a short life span and it will pay for itself in time. But I would get the works when it comes to stainless. You will not be sorry.

barkeatr
12-09-2009, 08:34 PM
IF YOU are on a budget though, the stainless is tough. I say get the galvanized, and then purchase or have stainless panels cut for you and install in later years as an upgrade. Is it easy to put stainless panels in a evaporator?

I have a new lapierre 2x6 coming in two weeks with galvanized sides..

brookledge
12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Like 3rd gen said if you plan on keeping it for a while you are better off going stainless. After you heat up the galv. and burn it off the rust starts and depending on how good your roof jack is to keep water or moisture out will depend on how long it will last. Also if moisture gets down inside the arch the galv. sheet metal will rot out eventually
I think if you are contemplating 700 is worth it.

3rdgen.maple
12-09-2009, 11:03 PM
barkeatr I understand the budget thing seems to get in the way for alot of us. As far as residing it well if taking all the brick out rivets bolts etc then cutting bending drilling and reriviting and bolting is easy then hey what the heck. As long as you take care of that galvanized arch it will last for quite awhile once it gets to the point of repair then do the stainless on it. The only thing I highly recomend for guys with a galvanized arch is to take the stack down during the off season. With it up it is just a way for moisture and the weather to reach your arch. I still do this with my stainless arch out of habit and the fact that the sides and bottoms might be stainless but the rails certainly are not. Enjoy that new rig.

red maples
12-10-2009, 08:02 PM
the other thing to think about is moisture in the off season which works its way into the arch board or insulation or if you spill sap what ever that moisture is sitting there for about 10-11 months out of the year. and will slowly eat away at that arch. I am sorry it might be a little vein but I love to sit look at the stainless too.

PerryW
12-11-2009, 08:59 AM
My galv. sides of my arch are still okay after 20 years but my galv. stack lasted only 8 years. I also got tired of hunks of rust falling into my flue pan so I replaced it w/ stainless about 12 years ago and it still looks good..

3rdgen.maple
12-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Perry you just rought flash backs of crap falling off the stack on my old galvanized setup. It irritated the living heck out of me when I looked in the pan and seen flakes of rusted steel. Yet another good reason why I love SS.

802maple
12-11-2009, 06:20 PM
I will tell you that most high performance arches are totally steel fireboxes with stainless over the outside to serve nothing other to make them look pretty and of course cost anywhere from $700 to $2500 more depending on the size. I have made a few with just the painted steel and they last just as long as they would with the stainless covering it up. It all depends on how pretty you want the sugarhouse is what it comes down to. Now a stainless stack that is a different story

brookledge
12-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Perry
That comment brought flash backs to me also. I remember the scale flaking off. I would try to wire brush it off before the season so it wouldn't fall in the pan. Also wrapping it with pieces of sheet metal to try and buy another year out of it.
Keith

Brent
12-14-2009, 08:40 PM
are you planning to have visitors to your sugar shack ? and sell syrup from there ??

All stainless will make a much better impression, especially a few years out.

Dave Y
12-15-2009, 06:32 AM
The stainless may be cosmetic to some, but nothing cleans as easy as stain less. And just like a beautiful woman a stainless rig isnt hard to look at!

backyardsugarer
12-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Yes, I sell almost everything on maple weekend so most customers do come to the shack. I am going stainless. I am also putting up all new tongue and groove pine in the shack. Should look good if I ever get it all set up.

Chris

barkeatr
12-16-2009, 06:54 PM
i DIdnt realize that swapping the panels from galv to stainless would be that much of a chore. I have never had a real arch..only a homemade device..but that will change with my lapierre 2x6 due this week..with galv sides.