PDA

View Full Version : Storing raw sap

hwstem
12-08-2009, 08:02 PM
This will be my first year tapping trees and we don't have many on our property at home. I have heard that raw sap is really good to drink but in small amounts, because it can upset you stomach. What is the best way if any to store sap for drinking? Would canning it work?

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-08-2009, 08:32 PM
We always drank it like water. Just tip the bucket up and drink it down. It is best when there is a stream going in your mouth and 2 more running down either side of your chin:lol: I'd freeze it if you want to drink some later.

KenWP
12-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I was out in the woods one day and thirsty and then remembered I had all these buckets of water hanging off trees. Nice and cold and just a tiney bit sweet. Really hits the spot. I guess one could store it but then what's the fun of waiting till next year for more then.
If you can it your going to have to heat it and that will probbably change the taste anyways plus low acid liquids are hard to can properly.

3rdgen.maple
12-08-2009, 10:52 PM
The best way to store sap is to boil it down till the hydrometer reads syrup then bottle it. :D

PerryW
12-09-2009, 06:08 AM
There is no problem guzzling large quantities of sap. It's too bad we can't bottle it and sell it to those people who buy water for $1.29 for 20 oz!!!

The problem is that Maple Sap just doesn't have a good marketing ring to it. We need a better word for sap.

mapleack
12-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I've seen bottled sap, it just has to be pasteurized. Don't know if its still being made or not, I have an unopened bottle at home that's probably 15 yrs old, I think I bought it at Dakin Farm. The real racket is the amishman near me that is bottling condensate, calling it "Maple Tree Distillate" and selling it as being good for your kidneys. Hmmm, distilled water, yeah miracle cure..........

Maplebrook
12-09-2009, 10:55 AM
We have always drank sap - from the bucket, float box, catching drips on the tongue off the spile. Makes fine coffee too!
No issues here from excessive sap comsumption.
Well...wait a minute seems... I can't get enough of maple.
Thaaaaat's right, it's addictive! Knew there was something.
Better not drink it hwstem or you'll end up like us!

The Birdman
12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
maple water run your sap thur your Ro boil consentrate bottle the water. Filtered maple water $ 1.00 a bottle. Why not filtered tap water sales for a $1.00-$1.50 a bottle. I've been thinking of this all summer long. you can also recycle the steam minamize waste max income. This would just about make the syrup a by product of maple water.

hwstem
12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks every one I did no know you could pasturize and then bottle it..

KenWP
12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Okay for name there is l'eau de erable,or seve de erable. Can't spell it correctly on here with a english keyboard.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-09-2009, 08:45 PM
maybe then stick to english words

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-14-2009, 09:18 PM
There is no problem guzzling large quantities of sap. It's too bad we can't bottle it and sell it to those people who buy water for $1.29 for 20 oz!!!

The problem is that Maple Sap just doesn't have a good marketing ring to it. We need a better word for sap.

Perry,

They do bottle it down or at least did and sell it as bottle water and it is called "treewater" or "tree water", not sure as I have never seen it but heard about it a few times.