PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Boxes

Clan Delaney
12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Where do you guys purchase corrugated cardboard boxes for shipping your syrup?

sapman
12-07-2009, 10:47 PM
My local Leader dealer carries them. Made just the right size for singles, or multiple containers.

Tim

3rdgen.maple
12-07-2009, 11:05 PM
I usually grab some from the local printshops I service. But some of those guys are buying boxes from ULine.

Dennis H.
12-08-2009, 03:36 AM
I have bought buckets thru Uline and I can tell you that they have one heck of an assortment of boxes, check them out.

Uline (http://www.uline.com)

tuckermtn
12-08-2009, 06:07 AM
same as Dennis- uline is where I get mine- LOTS of sizing options..

Jim Brown
12-08-2009, 06:26 AM
We use the Postal service flat rate boxes. You can get a gallon of syrup in a $10.35 box.

Jim

Snow Hill Farm
12-08-2009, 08:03 AM
I was wondering about those flat rate boxes, do any of them work well for half gallons and quarts. And it's anywhere in the U.S. for the same rate? I'm not sure they were thinking of maple syrup when they came up with that!

Jim Brown
12-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Any thing that will fit in the flat rate box goes anywere in the US or Over seas(APO addresses) for the same rate. No matter weather it is full of feathers or lead same price. We have shipped plastic bottles of syrup all over the country with no problems

Jim

Dennis H.
12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Yes there is also the flat rate box option at the USPS. Just make sure that you tell them that it will contain a liquid and that it is only maple syrup.
I can tell you that it is a real pain when a box starts to leak and you are not sure what is oozing out of the box!!

And the best way to ship a bottle is a box with-in a box, not a mandatory thing but just the best way to be sure that it will tolerate a few bumps and pokes on the way to the destination.

USPS (http://www.USPS.com)

KenWP
12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I put stuff like that inside of a plastic bag also then it dosn't leak. I sent stuff liquid over seas that way. There is also sea mail which is a green box that is like half the price of air mail.

syrupkid
12-08-2009, 07:46 PM
i just use the boxes that all my bottles come in but pad the bottles really well the boxes are rated at fifty some pounds

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Jim hit the nail on the head as the flat rate boxes work great. I always bubble wrap the syrup really good before putting it in a box and I think I can get 3 quarts in one of the medium flat rate boxes and I have shipped quite a bit without any problem. Definitely the cheapest if you are shipping over a few hundred miles.

The larger flat rate boxes are $ 13.95 I think and should hold more.

Snow Hill Farm
12-15-2009, 07:37 AM
From what I read on the USPS web site both the medium and large flat rate box is only 5.5" high. That must mean you have to place quarts and half gallons on their side? That would definitely be a concern to me, much greater chance of leaking. I have had great luck with UPS, I save boxes and packing peanuts from everything that comes into the house (the wife orders a lot of stuff) and re-use them. Also, UPS offers coupons and a frequent shipper card for additional savings and free insurance up to $100. They email both the customer and myself when it ships and arrives and I have never had a damaged or leaking box and never a complaint from a customer. Their web site is great for estimating, I just plug in the customers and my zip, weight ad size of box and I can tell the customer how much (and I add a little for the handling). Just my 2 cents....

Dave Y
12-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Bascoms sell boxes made for syrup containers. They have boxes for each size container, and the are labeled as liquid.

NH Maplemaker
12-15-2009, 08:33 AM
I have shipped alot of syrup with the flat rate boxes and never had a problem .
Once I had a lady that was very concerned a bout leaking ,so I put the jugs in a vacuum sealed bag! Then put then in the flat rate box with peanuts around them!
But yes you do haft to put jugs on there side! But for a buck or so you can get insurance which I include in shipping cost I have not had one leak or damaged yet!! (maybe I shoudn't have said that ! ) The last time I sent a gal of syrup UPS it was over $18.00 .Jim L.

Snow Hill Farm
12-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Just so I'm sure, there is no flat rate box that holds a full gallon of syrup, right? And can you confirm that the large flat rate box holds a half gallon? Thanks!

Jim Brown
12-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Snow Hill farm; A large flat rate will hold a gallon(4 quarts) if you do not wrap in bubble wrap.And yes it will hold a half gallon(2 quarts) wrapped in bubble wrap.We have sent syrup to Boston,Ma using this method.

Jim

HHM-07
12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
i also use the postal service boxes they have a lot of different sizes 1-qt=$6.00

Dick

NH Maplemaker
12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Snow Hill Farm, There is a flat rate box (11"x 8.5"x 5.5")that will hold two 1/2 gal plastic jugs ! I use it alot. But again you do haft to lay them on there side!!( never had one leak) but always a frist time! Two 1/2 gal will ship for around 10 bucks. Have sent syrup to the left coast maney times, gets there in about three days.JimL.

Acer
12-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Just so I'm sure, there is no flat rate box that holds a full gallon of syrup, right? And can you confirm that the large flat rate box holds a half gallon? Thanks!

flat rate boxes are free at the post office go get one and try it.

D