PDA

View Full Version : sanitizing cast alum health spiles?

OneLegJohn
12-07-2009, 07:11 AM
I understand that bacteria has a lot to do with closing to tap over a few weeks. I also understand that used spiles may carry more bacteriabthan a new spile thus reducing production by closing the hole quicker. Has anyone thought of soaking spiles in a quaternary disinfectant before use? You can soak in a USDA max ppm (not sure what the limit is) of quat without rinsing to make sure sanitation continues past the traditional bleach soak and rinse process.

DrTimPerkins
12-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Has anyone thought of soaking spiles in a quaternary disinfectant before use?

Four considerations.

1. Disinfectants are not necessarily good cleaners, and may not get in/under dirt or dried on sap. Mechanical scrubbing (or ultrasonic cleaning) is necessary.

2. Any disinfectant used should be FOOD-GRADE.

3. Although various forms of disinfection do help to some degree, the efficacy of kill varies widely (depending upon a great number of factors) and thus the effectiveness of the cleaning/disinfection regime ranges from poor to good.

4. The time it takes to clean should be factored into the cost/benefit equation. For larger producers on tubing, using annually replaceable spouts or spout adapters may be a better, cheaper, faster way to go. For smaller producers using buckets, cleaning may be a better option.

Tim P.
UVM PMRC

OneLegJohn
12-07-2009, 05:11 PM
First, thabks for your response. I value your input. I was thinking of using one of my industrial aluminum cleaners in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, rinse, and sanitize with quat at 1oz to 5 gallon. Sanitized, it should be "cleaner" than new... I only have about 300 spiles to clean. I'm just trying to extend the season a bit.

maple marc
12-27-2009, 10:44 AM
I boil my spiles in a pot of water before tapping begins. It's easy and is sure to sterilize them without chemicals.

Don't use a bleach solution. I tried this once and really oxidized my spiles.

marc

Beweller
12-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Use a pressure cooker or pressure canner and autoclave them for an hour. More effective than simple boiling.

Do this with plastic at your own risk.

3rdgen.maple
12-27-2009, 08:56 PM
I put mine in a concrete mixer filled with sand let them tumble and then boil them in plain water. Look like new when done.