PDA

View Full Version : how to ask and what to offer

40to1
12-07-2009, 12:01 AM
I live in an old suburban neighborhood and throughout it there are many big old sugar maples. I have it in my head to ask a few of my neighbors if I can tap their trees.
Any suggestions on how to ask? And what relationship works best? (I want to keep it as simple as possible - I don't want to have these people as "partners" all in varying degrees). What limits would you suggest? And what is the nature of the relationship? Am I the supplicant begging for trees to tap, or as the one with the means and time to boil sap, am I the one who is graciously willing to tap their trees?

More importantly, what do I offer as payment? The standard rule that I've gleaned from here is 1 gallon/100 taps. Using that rate, some people might only get 2 ounces. I'm not sure that would fly. Any suggestions to sweeten the pot?

Your thoughts are appreciated...

Dave Y
12-07-2009, 06:14 AM
40-1,
the best aproach is straight foward. walk right up stick out your hand and introduce your self. tell them what you plans are and ask. tell them you will give them some syrup. I f it is just afew taps give them a pint. they will be thrilled to get something made from their trees.

Fred Henderson
12-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Rule of thumb is 1QT per 25 taps.

smitty76
12-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I agree with Dave Y. That is how I got started. Most people are good about it. Just be upfront and tell them what you are going to do. And most love to get a little of what their trees made, even if it is only a pint. Good luck

NH Maplemaker
12-07-2009, 08:51 AM
40to1, Be prepaired for the questions!! Must folks have know idea about makeing maple syrup!! So some of them will have alot of questions. Like will the holes hurt my tress? Take the time to explane about health spouts and such, Most people are fine with it. Jim L.

03weim
12-07-2009, 01:09 PM
40to1 We have a few houses in Newton and Brookline where we tap most of our trees we give everyone about a pint each most of the houses that we tap at have 4-5 trees, I hope this helps. keep in mind we are doing this because we enjoy it and not to make a profit. My friend just went up and asked. the people had lots of questions but everyone has said yes so far plus its a great way to meet your neighbors

John

brookledge
12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
40-1
Another thing you may want to check with is your DPW or Tree Warden.
In some areas like yours the town or city doesn't allow the roadside trees to be tapped so you may want to check with them before you contact the owners unless the trees you are planning on tapping are away from the road.
Keith

red maples
12-08-2009, 07:09 AM
I just see what they are like first. I use henderson's equation of 1qt to 25 taps but it is different for everone. my neighbor doesn't like maple syrup..he likes pole syrup(the fake stuff) but his wife grew up on it. so for all the trees they only ask for like 2 qts and that will eventually be over 100 taps. knock on the door with a little sample container.

TapME
12-08-2009, 07:55 AM
A bribe of a pint of syrup in your hands when asking has worked for the saphauler and I all but one time. The trees here are all huge with the smallest being 24'' which will make a pint of syrup with no problem and plenty to spare for you. Just state your case and they will say yes or no. The questions that we get most is "will this hurt our trees". Just be ready with the answer. Good luck.

The Birdman
12-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I talk to a lady 1/2 mile down the road about the trees in her yard. she had no problem with tapping them. tap count 100-120 for one yard. 7 of them @ 75-80 ft tall 30-36 in at 4 ft limbs to the ground. sugar should be great on them they are all sugar maple. Just ask , no doesn't hurt long.

buxtonboiler
12-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I have to agree with most on here. Just ask. I have a farmer around the corner from me with lots of maples around his fields. I do buy produce from him in the summer. I asked about tapping his trees and he was actually thrilled. Said he wanted to years ago, but his sons had no interest so he didn't bother. Said I could tap all of them. So far I have about 100 planned out. I don't sell syrup, so I'll be happy to share with him.

KenWP
12-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I have to find out who owns the land beside me some day. There are lots of trees beside the road just sitting there but who owns them I haven't found out yet. Most people here seem to know tapping won't hurt a tree already. Ithink it's been bread into them.

Dave Y
12-09-2009, 07:21 AM
KenWP
Go to the tax office they can tell you who owns the land!

40to1
12-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! (especially about checking with the tree warden).
With a firm handshake, sample "tree-saver" spout, and decorative pint bottle, I'll be making the rounds....

3% Solution
12-10-2009, 10:19 AM
40 t0 1,
Keep in mind some other considerations too.
We have one guy that snowblows out the path to the tank all winter, he doesn't own the land, he lives across the street. That guy gets a quart!!!
We have another guy that opens up for us in the spring and keeps it open so we can make a loop around, 40 taps there, he gets a gallon.
We have other considerations that we deal with too.
If they don't want syrup, do something for them!
Just remember, your the one that is appreciative not the owner.
Remember, if you promise something, come through with it, at the beginning so you don't forget.

Dave

Leadft
01-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks to everyone on their tips to build relationships... I have started do much of the same U have talked about... I was just wondering what the "Standard" was ??? 25 taps to one quart sounds fair to me.. i have started making notes on converstaion to be sure to come through at the end so hopefully I can continue this in the future !!!

Dill
01-22-2010, 10:07 AM
I've been doing the 25 taps to a qt. And actually both places that I tap, I end up selling them more at a reduced rate.