PDA

View Full Version : New 10x12 Sugar House

Littlesap
12-06-2009, 08:08 PM
OK, as with the vast majority of my projects... this turned out to be a little harder than I thought. After 5-6 weekends and some rain delays, the new sugar house is finished (excpet staining the siding and running the stack through the roof). Added arch board and dry fitted the bricks, need to cut and set next weekend... hoping for a test boil before Christmas.:D I tried a new photo web site that seemed a little cleaner, hopefully it works.

Many thanks to all you folks that answered my questions

gator330
12-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Just looked at your photos VERY NICE!!! You did a great job on that sugar house.

Pete S
12-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Nice looking shack! What are the dimensions? as in height of walls, as you stated it's a 10' x 12' shack.

Littlesap
12-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks, the walls are 79 1/2". That was to accommodate french doors I recycled from inside the house. I could have gone higher but wanted to keep the height in proporation with the overall size and this saved me from adding a header. I have no power in the shack so I needed as much natural light as possible, also have four windows on each wall. Trying to convince my wife to make a stained glass maple leaf window that I can put over the french doors. She thinks I'm taking it a bit too far.

The Birdman
12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Littlesap why do the wife's always think we go over board. I go to walmart in and out 10 min max, she goes to walmart 4 hr min. Thats over board.:lol:

HHM-07
12-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Nice looking sugar shack, with a 2x6 you need more than 150 taps, GO FOR IT.

Dick

Littlesap
12-10-2009, 07:18 PM
I know 150 taps aren't that many but I can't boil every day, that's how I justified the 2x6. Although while building the sugar house I had a couple of neighbors stop by and after seeing the gleam in their eyes they said, "you know I have a couple of big maples you can come tap". So I might wind up with more than I thought.

red maples
12-10-2009, 07:22 PM
got the same thing. you get alot of new friends all of a sudden when the rumors get out that your making syrup.

KenWP
12-10-2009, 08:52 PM
I have that problem also. People say they have trees to tap. Only problem some live 12 miles away and darned if I am going to haul sap from a few trees 12 miles every day. My one buddy has lots of trees but they are all down hill from the road. I need to work on that problem a little more. Turns out he has a couple of sections of trees that have never been touched. requires joining a union to sell that much syrup.

smitty76
12-11-2009, 05:39 AM
Nice looking shack, need to convince the wife you need electric out there.