PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a dealer

nymapleguy607
12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
So another one of my hair brained ideas, but I am thinking about one day becoming a maple dealer. I want to because there are very few places around me that I can buy my supplies from. The man I currently buy from is through Leader and if he ever decided to retire there would be no other places relativly close to me. So my question is have any of you looked into becoming a dealer before? Would you have any advice for someone looking to start up? Again this is just a thought now but I would like to hear anyones expieriences with this.
Thanks
Jeff

forester1
12-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't know. But if you are thinking of becoming a dealer, you should become a good one. To me that means service, especially during the season. You should ask yourself if you are willing to sacrifice the time at your own sugarbush to service your customers.

jrthe3
12-06-2009, 12:58 PM
i looked into it to be a leader dealer i don't remember the amounts but i think it was like you had to buy like 20,000 in stuff to get the dealership and like spend like 10,000 a year to keep it don't quote me on the numbers and it was like ten years ago when we looked into it so thinks mite of changed

brookledge
12-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Call the various manufactuers and see what their policies are. You may find there are big differences between them. Also it helps if your area is lacking representation from one of the manufactuers because they might be willing to give you a break so they can make more sales in that area
Keith

KenWP
12-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Also would help if you spoke english instead of french.

ennismaple
12-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Also would help if you spoke english instead of french.

Ken - You mean if you spoke both, n'est pas? The three big Quebecois suppliers have gotten better with their english tech support over the past 10 years but there is still a barrier to overcome at times.

For being a dealer - you need to make sure your suppliers will support you. You can offer great service to your customers but if the manufacturer won't back you up and provide a high level of service for what they've built you're stuck with unhappy customers.

KenWP
12-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I am witing for this syrup season to go over to D&G. They speak no english over there but I have spent 4 months in french class now so I should be able to get some place now. Especially since I can count to what ever number I need to now. That and I can say blue tubeing in french now. They have a stupid name for spiles for some dumb reason. I tried to price out arch board through them in the Montreal office and they won't give me a price untill I say how much I need. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Haynes Forest Products
12-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I also think that during the season is when you show what your made of. Stocking some parts for the evap is easy only because about the only thing to break is the float s and seals But how about the releasers and ROs. sales AND service is what you need most so in the heat of the battle your going to have be a RO teck with some parts to keep them running. Drop shipping from the manf. is nice but if my filter press pump gives out will you stock the parts? I suppose starting out small and testing the waters is your best bet.

mapleack
12-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Ken, look at www.mcgillswarehouse.com for ceramic board. Cheap I think.

nymapleguy607
12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys for the feed back. Its is nice to get opinions about this, there are certainly things I never even thought about.

ennismaple
12-08-2009, 12:36 PM
They have a stupid name for spiles for some dumb reason.

Un chalumeau, oui? I guess 8 years of french immersion didn't go totally to waste...

KenWP
12-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Oui c'est correct. I was talking with my french teacher about building a new evaporator becasue a ready made one was so dear and this German fellow standing there listening say to me, can you say that in a language I understand. He is married to a french lady and he can't understand one word.