PDA

View Full Version : Pex for tubing system?

ibby458
12-06-2009, 08:27 AM
I've come across a deal on pex tubing, rated for potable use. Will this hold up in a sugarbush? I worry the sunlight would degrade it.

nam elpam
12-06-2009, 09:04 AM
I Also Came Across Some Put It In This Year On About A Little Over 100 Taps. Rolls Out Really Nice The Only Issues So Far Is That 3/4'' Really Has An Inside Dia Closer To A 1/2'' Fitting Making A Little Harder Joining But With The Use Of Clamp On Saddles Leaves The Joints To A Minimum Won't Know The Full Outcome For A Little While Still. But That Seems To Be Sugaring Trial And Error.

DrTimPerkins
12-06-2009, 09:16 AM
I've come across a deal on pex tubing, rated for potable use. Will this hold up in a sugarbush? I worry the sunlight would degrade it.

The overall composition (and thus some of the properties) is likely to be quite similar. However, since this product is made for indoor (in wall) use, it is unlikely that it has the necessary UV inhibitor additive that will keep it from degrading in sunlight. I'd avoid using the stuff in the woods. A deal might not seem like such a deal if it means you have to replace it a few years from now....or even worse, if it breaks in the middle of the season.

Tim P.
UVM PMRC

rob1640
12-06-2009, 10:16 AM
I have used pex in my business for in-floor heating, the plumbing wholesaler tells us not to even store our pipe inventory in the sun. Probably won't last in the bush.

Rob

ibby458
12-07-2009, 04:09 AM
That's about what I figured. Would painting it keep out the uv?

I've already got a zillion plastic fittings sixed for pex pipe. they are a bit small for black plastic pipe. Is Leader's 30P sized like black plastic, or closer to pex sizes?

sapman
12-07-2009, 10:53 PM
30P is IPS I believe, which is like black plastic.

Tim

ibby458
12-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Hmmmmm. The black plastic I have measures at .625" ID. Pex is actually .500 inches. The fittings I have are .550 OD. I may end up "bulking" them up with teflon tape to clamp down on, or use the pex and fittings on fence row and roadside taps where I can remove and roll it up and store inside after the season.