PDA

View Full Version : 210 gallon tank in a pick up

backyardsugarer
12-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I have a 2007 Tundra and a 210 gathering tank. That is 1,734 pounds of sap if my math is correct. Do you think the truck can handle that full of sap?

Chris

gator330
12-04-2009, 10:51 AM
You may want to put on a set of helper springs with that much on it. I'm not shure if I would fill the tank or make two trips. Might better go for the two trips to be on the safe side, Even with the helper springs. Fill it with water and see how far the front end is off the ground that will tell you weather it will work or not.

Haynes Forest Products
12-04-2009, 11:53 AM
I had the same problem and after watching the RED GREEN SHOW I had my wife ride on the hood:mrgreen:o

Amber Gold
12-04-2009, 12:08 PM
From what I've heard of Tundra's, their payload capacity isn't what they claim. Fill it up now using your garden hose and see how your truck responds. If you're leaf springs aren't flattened out then you're set. If they are, either keep that in mind when filling it or increase your payload capacity.

I'd install air bags before additional springs. If you install additional springs, the ride gets much stiffer. If you install the air bags yourself, I think the cost is comparable.

Woody
12-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I have a 2007 Tundra and a 210 gathering tank. That is 1,734 pounds of sap if my math is correct. Do you think the truck can handle that full of sap?

Chris

I had the same issue with my old F-150 and finally decided a tank on a trailer would be the best deal. Your truck should pull a decent load.

mountainvan
12-04-2009, 06:34 PM
The payload for your truck should be in the owners manual.

paul
12-04-2009, 07:09 PM
we used to put 300gl on an f100 never did have a problem.

red maples
12-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I agree with ambergold I remember someone telling me the same thing about the tundras. they have trouble with too much weight!!! but the water test should work if its too heavy just mark it with a permentent marker at a level that works

Homestead Maple
12-04-2009, 08:44 PM
I had the same problem and after watching the RED GREEN SHOW I had my wife ride on the hood:mrgreen:o
Good ole' Red Green. I learned a few pointers from him too. Did you have to "duct tape" your wife to the hood so's she didn't fall off?

3rdgen.maple
12-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I think I would be a little leary about putting anything in a toyota with all the frame recalls they have had.

tuckermtn
12-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I had a 210 in my 2004 tundra and it was okay. I had it further back that It should have been since I had a tool box and diesel tank close to the cab. if it had been more centered in the bed, it would have been fine. Last year stepped up to a real truck- f-350 SRW powerstroke and put a 425 gal tanks in it- no problem.

KenWP
12-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Funney thing Red Greens wife can't weigh 120 pounds soaking wet. Not much ballast there if you ask me. See us Canadains can be funny.
I alwasy have to remember your gallons and 2 pounds lighter then ours. That extra weight adds up when you are hauling a couple of hundred gallons. I would go with a trailer and then not worry about ruining a truck.

tuckermtn
12-05-2009, 05:35 AM
I just re-read the first post- looks like your tundra is one of the second generation i.e. newer body style. IF I remeber correctly they beefed up the suspension and payload capacity on the newer Tundras- so I think you should be fine.

Russell Lampron
12-05-2009, 06:01 AM
I used to haul a 210 sap tank with a Silverado 1500 I even had a 325 tank in it filled with water to wash tubing. No mods to the suspension and no problems handling the load. You want to fill that tank to the top as much as possible. The sap sloshing around in a partly filled tank can make the truck sway and you have to be careful on corners.

Make sure that the tires on your Toyota can handle the load as well. A properly inflated load range D or E tire will make a big difference over the tires that sometimes come stock.

ibby458
12-05-2009, 07:48 AM
I used a 275 cage tank (tote) in the back of my Silverado 1500 a few years ago. No problems, but drive slow. STopping was harder than getter started.

I got tired of multiple trips, so I put 3 of those tanks in a trailer. Worked good, but took about a mile to stop it if you went over 30 mph. (trailer has brakes, too).

brookledge
12-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Like others have said, check your owners manual. The breaks are rated for a certain weight also. But I think the bottom line is the distance you are hauling and the speed. If you are hauling a few miles and the roads are good then overloading won't bother you. But if you need to travel longer distances and at faster speed then you are taking risk into your own hands. Also if your roads are real bad and bouncing causes a broken spring that won't be fun either.
Keith

gmcooper
12-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Put the tank forward in the bed and it should balance the load out between the front and rear axels. I haul a 425 gallon tank on our f250s with no problem. If anything 1/2 load is more of an issue with sloshing than a full load.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Buy a 5x8 trailer for $ 700 to $ 800 or larger if you prefer for a little more $$$ and haul it without any problems. Won't hurt the trailer and much better for the truck and you won't hardly know you have it back there.