PDA

View Full Version : I'M Back

backyardsugarer
12-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Well, I am going back to buckets and road side trees and down grading to about 200 taps from 2500 but at least I will be producing this year. Now I just have to buy a new evaporator.

?'s

Why is the leader WSE $4,200 and the Dallaire 2 by 6 five hundred more? Then Lappiere has a storm 2 by 6 for $5,700.

If you were going to buy once and do it right which model would you buy?

Thanks for the input, I want something that will last, be efficient and make lots of syrup.

Chris

gator330
12-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I thought you would be back at it some how this year. Loosing a few tree's won't stop a real maple sugar producer. Listen, I don't know how far you want to drive for sap but I have tree's that I may never get to tap. Be willing to work out something cheap if not free. I have a spot road side pick up could run a 300 foot main and pick up a hundred plus easy. I know your about a 30 minute drive one way but if you want sap bad enough let me know.

backyardsugarer
12-04-2009, 11:37 AM
That is an awesome offer. If I would be able to run the tubing and keep it up year round I would consider it. Especially for roadside trees with big crowns.

my # is 585 749-6738 give me a call and I would love to look it over.

Chris

gator330
12-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I think we can do that. I'll give you a call tonight if not sooner. By the way we spoke few years back you turned me on to The Maple Trader the least I can do for all the pain you have caused my wife sence then.

Haynes Forest Products
12-04-2009, 11:51 AM
BYS and remember if you cant get back and forth during the day Gator can take the overflow:evil: Why are you cutting back? did a storm wipe you out?

gator330
12-04-2009, 11:57 AM
If had time for the over flow I'd tap it myself. The hundred I run at my house is only a fraction of what is right hear. Wife, five kids, a full time job ,and a farm leaves very little time for more taps. I just hate to see a man go with out sap and a good wife. So mine is up for the taking, the sap too!!! Just kidding about the wife????

backyardsugarer
12-04-2009, 01:47 PM
No, no storm, the lady broke the lease with me and had the woods practically clear cut. Now she thinks she is going to harvest hard wood every 3-5 years. I told her to add a 0 to her estimate (30-50 years so not in her life time again). Now I am religated to road trees but it is amazing how open home owners are compared to land owners and suprisingly farmers around here. I have knocked on a lot of doors offering good money and free syrup for leases and even offered to buy some land but everyone is funny in this area. I guess they think Victor/Farmington is going to the the next Manhattan some day.

gator330
12-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Chris are you home I'll call you about that woods now if you are.

themapleman54
12-04-2009, 02:30 PM
CHECK OUT Dominion & Grimm Fillmore NY 585-567-2738

3rdgen.maple
12-04-2009, 09:53 PM
BYS the leader WSE is there bottom end model. Spend the few extra coin and get something that is all stainless steel. money well spent, rust is ugly and it cleans up nice as well. I think I would have to take a close look at that 2x6 storm. Whichever route I would go and look at them real close ,figure out if you want a drop or raised. If you are wanting a raise take a good look at the float boxes and see which ones look the best. When I was looking for a new 2x6 I went and looked at everyone I could. They all had something I did not like and they all had something I did. The wse just did not look like a 4200 dollar evaporator. I went with the Patrick Phanuef's evaporator and still glad I did. It had what I wanted and what it didn't Patrick was willing to make the changes. Problem I had with the other big guys is what you see is what you get. Picking one out is all part of the fun so enjoy it and just don't rush a decision.

Russell Lampron
12-05-2009, 05:45 AM
Dallaire makes a nice evaporator. It is probably top of the line as far as the big guys go.

Leader makes nice pans and they also have the Max flue pans with 11" flues if you want to spend $8000 or so for a 2x6. It is my opinion that their WSE arch looks like it was built in someones garage, not by a top of the line manufacturer. If I am going to spend my hard earned on something and pay top dollar I want something that looks like it was worth what I spent.

If I were to buy a new evaporator today I would give the Lapierre with Intensofire arch a serious look. It is big money but 65gph from a 2x6 is big too.

Unfortunately the Algier evaporator company went out of business. I love the one that I have. It has a nice firebox design and nice deep pans. It also has big cast iron grates like you would find in a much larger evaporator. The float boxes on the front pan drop below the arch rail so that you can get some sap in there in a hurry if you need too. The list could go on but you can only find these evaporators used now if someone is willing to sell theirs.

southdevonbeef
12-05-2009, 07:14 AM
I'm glad to see that you will be able to tap some trees and make syrup next year. Last month when you had your equipment posted for sale we talked for about a good 45 min on the phone. Again good to see your back. Mike

sapman
12-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I agree, good to see you will make syrup next year! Hope another bush opens up for you sometime.
Tim

backyardsugarer
12-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks Guys, I am psyched to be doing buckets. I am excited to start over small again and if I ever get big I will simply use the rig I buy now with RO.

Chris

michelle32
12-06-2009, 07:58 AM
backyardsugarer, Look at how Tuckermtn has his coop setup. If you can find someone that does farmers markets and has the trees .This could workout for both of you. You make it they sell it. Keith

DrTimPerkins
12-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Why is the leader WSE $4,200 and the Dallaire 2 by 6 five hundred more? Then Lappiere has a storm 2 by 6 for $5,700.

Different evaporator and arch configurations can have widely varying prices depending upon the standard features of each, not to mention the bells & whistles you add on afterward.

One thing that isn't real easy to notice is whether you're truly getting stainless fittings or chrome-plated brass fittings (which look a lot like stainless...hard to tell what type they are when they're mounted on an evaporator). There is nothing inherently wrong with chrome-plated fitting...they are water potable. But this single difference alone can add up to several hundred dollars on even a smallish evaporator with only half a dozen fittings, and well over a thousand dollars on a larger evaporator with lots of fittings. The only way to be really sure (before you buy) is to ask (and maybe even get it in writing).

Tim P.
UVM PMRC