PDA

View Full Version : Steam Hood material

nymapleguy607
12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Well now that I have my new pans comes the next fun part. Getting the steam hoods made. There is a local fab. shop that can make them for me but what is better to have them meade of stainleff or aluminum. I like the idea of using aluminum because the hood would be lighter to take on and off. This is a big plus because it is usually only me there to take the hood off.
Any thoughts
Thanks
Jeff

syrupkid
12-03-2009, 06:57 PM
on my 2x8 the hoods are aluminum they worked fine for the previous owner (its new and i havnt cooked on it yet) the stack for the hood is also aluminum

Maplebrook
12-03-2009, 07:25 PM
I plan to build a steam hood this winter. Aluminum will be the material of choice - available at the building supply store 24" wide x whatever length you want. It can be bent on a brake like the siding installers use. The stack will be made from the same stuff - just bent into a hex shape rather than round.

Haynes Forest Products
12-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Mine is Aluminum and its nice and light. I can pick it up by myself and carrie it out for cleaning 3x10. Mine is like a funny car body it gets its strength buy sitting in its channel.

Sugarmaker
12-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Working on stainless hoods right now for Keith Talbot. Using 20 gage material, they will be heavy. But should make some nice hoods for his 2.6 x 7 rig.

Regards,
Chris

brookledge
12-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Jeff
If you are worried about weight and being able to move it yourself do what I did. I have eye bolts in each corner and can lift the hood up and suspend it over the flue pan for cleaning. Use pulleys and a crank like is used on boat trailers. Mine is made from aluminum but it is heavy with the pre-heater in it. So when I lift the hood the pre-heater goes with it. All I need to do is disconnect the feed line and the line to the float. My steam pipe does not go through the roof just into the cuppola so it is easy to take the pipe off
Keith

ibby458
12-08-2009, 06:37 AM
I made mine from 28ga stainless. It's a lot more challenging to get the bends right, sharper than a straight razor when cut, and harder to drill for rivets. If I ever build another, I think I'd use aluminum. It sure do polish up nice, though.