PDA

View Full Version : Drill pump or 12 volt transfrer pump

TRAILGUY
12-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I am starting out an small time. I have 60 tap that go to shed supply tank and around 100 taps going to 55 gal drums. Has anyone use a drill pump for that small amount. Or has anyone used a 12 volt transfer pump. About taped out set up the taps and all.

mountainvan
12-03-2009, 04:48 PM
drill pump won't stand up to the volume. It will shed little bits of plastic into the sap.

KenWP
12-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I am starting out an small time. I have 60 tap that go to shed supply tank and around 100 taps going to 55 gal drums. Has anyone use a drill pump for that small amount. Or has anyone used a 12 volt transfer pump. About taped out set up the taps and all.

Those drill pumps are the most useless thing I ever owned. Tried one once and gave up. The 12 volt pumps work okay from experience.
Just one guestion when you say tapped out you haven't tapped already have you.

tuckermtn
12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I like the 12 volt rule bilge pumps- all different flow rates available- find em cheap on ebay.

another bonus is if you have a remote location, you can do a small solar panel to run the 12 volt dc pump w/ battery back up

TRAILGUY
12-03-2009, 06:26 PM
tap out as in everything cost just a little more then i planed

3% Solution
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Trailguy,
I am going to go with the majority here, don't waste the money on the drill pump.
Put it towards a 12 volt pump.
Just bought one, I believe it is going to save some time and back muscles!!
The one I have is supposed to pump 600 gph.
But the choice is yours!

Dave

gator330
12-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I have a 12 volt bilge pump wired into the tractor. Long wire and hose can drop it in a tank or into what ever the sap is running into. Pump it into the tank on the tractor (275 gallon cage tank on rear forks) and go. From that tank to the head tank in the sugar house. I think its 40 gallon a minute eather way I only have a hundred taps makes pick up a snap. 12 volt tractor batterie has a lot of juice. Head tank is a 55 gallons fills it up quick. I'm with the 12 volt vote on this one

TRAILGUY
12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
12 volt sounds like the answer, is there anything to look out for?? any lings to the right model?? John Deere with 65 gal tank to be filled from 55 gal drums.

gator330
12-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Mine came out of a boat no idea what the brand is just know it works! Wire a simple switch to one of the wires that will reach the end of your hose. That way you can turn it on/off when holding the hose and not lose any of that wunderful sap. work to hard for it to lose any.

Haynes Forest Products
12-04-2009, 12:30 AM
put a check valve near the pump so when you run out of sap in the tank it doesnt back flow into the tank. Then hold the pump up higher than the sap level and drain the hoses into the tank that will also keep things from freezing and breaking things.

Fred Henderson
12-04-2009, 04:52 AM
I have used the same 12 volt, 1500 GPH for the last ten years. They are not as fast as a gas engine but a lot safer and less likely to get gas in the sap.

dano2840
12-04-2009, 12:28 PM
your best bet just find a well pemp or pressure pump for 50 bucks, i had a goulds pump given to me which pumps my sap up into my feed tank and it works just fine

Woody
12-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Check Amazon for RULE bilge pumps

Electric Bilge Pumps Pumps PLUMBING & PUMPS

RULE NON-AUTOMATIC SUBMERSIBLE BILGE PUMP 360/500

SKU: RUL24x
Rule pumps are the standard for submersible bilge pumps. This series is available in either 360 GPH or 500 GPH.
FEATURES
Fully Submersible
Easy clean snap lock strainer
Silent and vibrationless operation
Anti-airlock protection
Compact, efficient long life motor
Ignition protected
No burn-out when run dry
Rust and Corrosion protection
Used by leading boatbuilders worldwide
marine grade blocked wiring
Takes 3/4" Hose
REQUIRES FLOAT SWITCH AND/OR PANEL SWITCH

cncaboose
12-05-2009, 08:10 AM
If your sugarhouse is off the grid one other option to consider is to get an AC/DC inverter, 1500 Watts should be plenty. They are cheapest on eBay, around $100. You can hook it to solar powered batteries, your truck, car or tractor. Then you can use house current for a pump. My 110V pump does a nice job and cost less than $50 from Northern Tool. The inverter also gives you flexibility to run other stuff if you want during sugaring and at other times like lights, shop-vac, powertools, etc. We are happy with our setup.

Fred Henderson
12-05-2009, 07:49 PM
If your sugarhouse is off the grid one other option to consider is to get an AC/DC inverter, 1500 Watts should be plenty. They are cheapest on eBay, around $100. You can hook it to solar powered batteries, your truck, car or tractor. Then you can use house current for a pump. My 110V pump does a nice job and cost less than $50 from Northern Tool. The inverter also gives you flexibility to run other stuff if you want during sugaring and at other times like lights, shop-vac, powertools, etc. We are happy with our setup.

Ian
You certainly have a very nice and cozy setup. Tucked back in the woods the way you are.