PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Jobs

WMF
12-02-2009, 11:47 PM
I see dirty jobs with Mike Rowe is going to a sugarhouse in an upcoming episode. Anyone know who's place they went to?

3rdgen.maple
12-03-2009, 01:30 AM
I have seen a quick shot of it in the previews for months now. Kinda gives it a little bad rep I thinking. It shows him making some maple candy and then some other episodes. Maple syrup and dirty should not be used in the same sentence. I DVR all the episode and waiting for it but I have not seen it as of yet.

dano2840
12-03-2009, 10:28 AM
in one shot he is inside the fire box cleaning the underside of the syrup pan and the flue pan

red maples
12-03-2009, 11:53 AM
yes thats the dirty part! hopefully mike will be walking through some swamps, logging, splitting wood, hauling sap buckets strtching tubbing!!! screwing up a few fittings.

WMF
12-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Found it, Wagners maple in southern Pa. www.wagnersmaplesugar.com

Snow Hill Farm
12-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Any idea when it will be on or was it already on? I was thinking of calling Dirty Jobs when I cleaned my pans in October, they came really clean but the sludge that fermented in there all summer was no fun removing, stinky!

caseyssugarshack93
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
i think its going to be on dec 12th i went to discovery.com and it says on the 12 he will visit a sugarmill? that must be maple ? maybe not

220 maple
12-04-2009, 11:56 PM
WMF
Mike Rowe and his Camera Crew was in Somerset,Co. last spring filming a dirty job episode at Wagner's Sugar Camp. Sue Wagner runs the camp. She helped me make 400 small sugar cakes for a wedding about three weeks ago.
I knew about this all summer and fall and several times thought about posting on here that it was probably going to air sometime soon. I decided to wait and see how it would be recieved. My fear was it could be bad pub. just like the Oil bucket sap photo on the cover of Vermont Life. I told Sue and her helper Jerry about the Oil bucket photo, and the bad pub. that it created! She asked me back in the Summer what I thought about it. I ducked and dodged with best of them. I told her about this message board and that she would probably recieve mixed reviews. I hope I get a chance to see it.

Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
12-05-2009, 12:02 AM
CORRECTION

My mistake Sue's surname is Jeffrey not Wagner. Sorry Sue if your on here!

Mark 220 Maple

maplecrest
12-05-2009, 07:59 AM
well if they were with me this week in all the rain and mud up over your boots putting up wire and main line the public would see that making maple is not all about clean dry sugar houses and sweet maple comming off the evap. that there is a dirty side to the job. from cleaning ashes and brushing flue pans to cleaning pans to smelly late season sap. i hope they sell alot of syrup

red maples
12-05-2009, 04:28 PM
yeah oil can for sap collection ...not so good, but I think its great... I can't wait to see it but like maplecrest said there is a dirty side to it. there is a dirty side to just about everything outside of an office cubical if it requires hard labor there's gotta be some sorta dirt in there somewhere. restaurants ahve to be clean but you never see the grease traps getting cleaned or the grill taken apart to be cleaned, or ovens, and if you have ever seen what a hood cleaning company does...some times they have to actually climb into that duct work and scrape the crud out of there. nasty stuff man!!!

although a bit separated from maple sorta. on the news this morning there are some folks training for the olympics up in vermont and their training.....hauling spliting, stacking wood. and all with wheel barrows, axes and mauls. good to see I am not the only one who does that stuff to save a trip to the gym.

KenWP
12-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Wonder if they ever went to a pig barn. They would have to censor the show after a few minutes of weighing pigs.
I would have to say they have to come help me haul sap for a half mile with bukets to see dity work. Especially the one ditch I have to go over.

tuckermtn
12-05-2009, 05:01 PM
yes I've seen dirty jobs in a pig barn. not as bad as the castrating of the lambs out west somewhere...no thanks...

red maples
12-05-2009, 08:23 PM
the pig farm was pretty nasty that truck that hauled the pig slop... he stopped to fast and it splashed all over him yummy.

brookledge
12-06-2009, 03:49 PM
I would like to refer it to a hard working job more than a dirty job. To me a dirty job as the show refers to it should be a job that nobody wants to do but gets done because somebody has to do it.
I don't see that as the case. Maple producers want to make syrup they don't do it because they have to
Just my thoughts
Keith

KenWP
12-06-2009, 05:28 PM
We have to remember that only crazy people make syrup. Normal people do things like defuse bombs and such where they don't have to work their butts off for little reward. I can just imangine how much syrup would get made if some of the work force had to do the work.

Farmboy
12-06-2009, 08:02 PM
I watch Dirty jobs all the time. Some of the things he does are nothing to anyone that lives in the country. Some of them are downright disgusting. Making maple syrup is on the not dirty end of the scale. I will deffinetly watch that episode.

mapleman3
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I too had thought Lets get Mike to the sugarhouse! I love that show!

jrthe3
12-08-2009, 09:34 PM
i to have thought about sending a video in but i wondered about the timing thing seeing how sryup is not somthing made year round then gave up on it cause i do not want to draw all that attention to what i doing and to what i have in that little building causing more prob i already have enought and don't need any more greaf

red maples
12-18-2009, 05:38 PM
OK got the scoop!!! Dirty jobs " maple syrup maker" will be on at 9:00 pm EST on tuesday Dec. 29.