PDA

View Full Version : Question about flood Vacuum systems

nymapleguy607
12-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Hey Guys
This morning I took apart my Delaval 75 pump to clean it out, and I was curious does this pump uses a flood systemfor lubrication? It has a line that comes from the resovior to the bearings. This line also keeps oil on the vanes so they will seal against the drum. How does a flood system work, and what are the advantages of one? Thanks Jeff

Haynes Forest Products
12-03-2009, 01:46 AM
That is not a flood system. The oil in that unit was for the bearings and the vanes. A flood system puts oil into the intake in larger amounts to oil the bearings, vanes but also for cooling. Having a flood system lets you run higher vacuum. all compressors are vacuum pumps and all vacuum pumps are compressors:rolleyes: During operation most of the heat generated is from compressing the air and lack of cooling air coming into the pump from the mainlines. that pump was designed for low vacuum, low RPM. The tighter your system the less cooling air will enter the pump that is why if you dont run a flood system you need a regulator to add cool air on the intake side of the pump. I run a flood system and dont use a regulator so I get higher vacuum levels:)

NH Maplemaker
12-03-2009, 08:19 AM
This is were I get lost!! So can any vane type vacumm pump be used with a flood system? I have a delaval 76. JimL.

Haynes Forest Products
12-03-2009, 10:18 AM
I cant say any vane pump. If its a vane pump that uses oil to lubricate the vanes then I would say yes. If the pump has steel vanes then I would say yes adding oil to the intake would be ok.

In a liquid ring style pump the liquid that is used is to seal the impellers so they can build vacuum and cooling. I have a few oiless vane pumps and they have carbon composite vanes.

nymapleguy607
12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
So theoreticly speaking if I were to add a second oil line from the resovior to the intake and put some type of metering valve in I could have a flood system?

mountainvan
12-03-2009, 04:46 PM
You need a reclaimer to have a flood system. The pumps exhaust goes into the reclaimer where the oil mist condenses and then gets fed into the pump from lines coming out of the reclaimer. The alamo pumps in the classified section have reclaimers on top.

halfast tapper
12-03-2009, 11:30 PM
You need a reclaimer to have a flood system. The pumps exhaust goes into the reclaimer where the oil mist condenses and then gets fed into the pump from lines coming out of the reclaimer. The alamo pumps in the classified section have reclaimers on top.

You also have to have the clearance between the drum and the case increased for the larger volume of oil that a flood system puts into the pump. Leader does this for you for about 200-300 bucks.

Haynes Forest Products
12-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Halfast What good does cutting the drum do? I have been running my Masport for 2 years without a problem. I also ran a DeLaval without a problem till I got fancy and ran plastic oil lines:mad: As Mountain van said A reclaimer is a must. NMG607 The resevoir is not big enough to run a flood system. Plus to cool the pump with oil you want a large enough supply of oil for it to cool down so it can help cool the pump. I recerculate about 7 gallons of oil and that still gets hot but then Im running all out no regulator.