PDA

View Full Version : stack size?

John Burton
02-04-2005, 04:40 AM
I have a 2x6 patriot that i bought used last spring. it came with a base stack for 8 inch pipe so i bought 12 feet of it the roof jack and stack cover. now that i am talking to others i see everyone else has 10 inch stack on their 2x6 rigs. my question is about draft. I have a blower on this rig, will its stack size limit its boiling rates and if so can adding some more pipe over come this?this is my first year on my own rig so i dont have a ton of experience in ths area. any thoughts.

lmathews
02-04-2005, 05:25 AM
hi,
i have a 2x6 grimm with factory stack size of 7". i boil app. 25-30 gal. per hr. i also have a blower. i think that the 8" would do you just fine.
thank you

mapleman3
02-04-2005, 05:30 AM
8" on my Algier 2 x 6 and with blower did close to 35gph on good days

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-04-2005, 08:11 AM
I know the Leader and King 2x6 drop flues came with 7" stack a couple of years ago. They may come with 8" now, but not sure. I questioned Leader about this as not being enough stack and they stated that on a drop flue you didn't need nearly as much as on a raised flue since you have to pull a lot more draft with a raised flue to get the heat to up into the flues and back down into the stack. Don't know for sure, but makes sense. I have a 2x8 and it has 10" stack. Even on the larger models the best I remember, a raised flue used to have more stack than a drop flue. :)

cheesegenie
03-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Been looking over these old post, for answer. Stack heighth?
I have wood fired, no blower,four fout pan, with side preheater.Stack
is 8", six feet inside, four feet above roof peak outsisde.Find it a bit
smokey. I was thinking of adding another 30" to ouside. Would it make
any difference?

Rob Harvey
03-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Cheesegenie, If you add stack height you will increase the draft. If you are boiling on a flat pan and trying to keep the flame on the pan, too much stack might be counter productive.

Fred Henderson
03-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Check your flues, they should be brushed down everyday before you start boiling.

maple flats
03-05-2006, 08:13 PM
If you are getting smoke after the unit has had enough time to get going you are not burning it hard enough. My Leader 2 x 6 has a 7" stach and I could never see any smoke after about the first 6-8 minutes. Give it more air in, do not choke the fire. In the past I did not have a blower but have added one this year, now I will need to see how much air it can take to incinerate in there, hotter = faster evaporation rate. With mine on natural asperation I needed to split the wood to about writs size for a real hot fire, with the blower i tried it a little bigger, time will tell if it was the right choice and the sap will start for real this Wednesday if the forcast is close to right.

brookledge
03-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Usually the rule of thumb for your stack height is twice the length of your arch. And it looks like yougot that with 4 foot pan and a 10 foot stack. Try adding a nother 30" section and see what happens. you can always take it off if it doesn't help.
Keith

cheesegenie
03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys for all the great input, very good ideas. I have been
getting ready for sap time since last summer, can't wait for it to
start running .But on Friday I took a bad kick from a horse and
can hardly walk, so a little longer wait would be fine by me.Even
at that ,today I put up the stack,re-bricked arch, covered with tin
and made a test fire. Just nice to be up and out.