PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Sugarin Education

MapleME
12-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I am going to be running a day course on hobby maple syrup making at a local community farm. 1/2 day in the classroom, 1/2 day in the sugarhouse. The course is free..really just trying to recruit some people who are interested in maple syrup and never took the plunge.

Seeking any basic powerpoints or educational materials that may be helpful as I put the course outline together.

Much thanks!
Josh in Maine (MapleME)

3% Solution
12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
MapleMe,
NHMapleMaker and myself just did a 4 hour program at the local library.
We used the North American Maple Producers Manual to put the powerpoint together. It ran for 4 hours.
Just sat down and figured what a backyarder needed to know.
We went from the history to making candy.
If you have any pictures use them as backgrounds, worked nicely.
It was a neat little presentation to do.
The folks that was there said it was very imformative.
Hope this helps.

Dave

MapleME
12-02-2009, 08:18 PM
dave thats great, sounds like what I will be doing too. My only concern is I want to run the course in late january to get people interested, help them with supplies etc. Its going to be tough to run them through the evaporator with no sap though!! I thought I could just use water to show how to maintain a boil, etc.

Would you be willing to share your powerpoint? In return would be happy to share with you what I end up with.

Thanks,

MapleME

3% Solution
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
MapleMe,
Let me check with the NHMaplemaker, he's part of this too.
I'll get back to you.
If you don't hear from me in a week, yell at me!

Dave

buxtonboiler
12-03-2009, 03:24 AM
When and where? Very interested in attending.

TapME
12-03-2009, 07:28 AM
josh, If the class is on the weekend I may be able to help you with some things. We have done education to schools for 3 years now and have a lot of the power point left. I may be able to help with the boiling too, give me a call and we can go through some ideas. Good job in getting some interest in maple.

NH Maplemaker
12-03-2009, 08:10 AM
As far as I'm concerned you can use our info! But finale say is up to 3% as he put it all together ! An a fine job at that!! But the bottom line is to help new folks get started in this maple addiction ! Jim L.

MapleME
12-03-2009, 08:34 PM
If you could send me PPT that would be great. Interested to see what you guys put together.
jcfemt@aol.com

The class will probably be at Wolfesneck Farm in Freeport, about 10 min. from LL Bean. Morning in the classroom, lunch on your own, afternoon in the sugarhouse. Thats my plan anyway.

3% Solution
12-03-2009, 08:45 PM
MapleMe,
Got NHMaplemaker on Skype with me right now and we can send you a copy of that on a cd.
Think the file is just a bit too big to go over the wires.
PM me your address and we'll get it out to you.

3%

3% Solution
12-04-2009, 08:58 PM
MapleMe,
Got your PM, I be getting it out Monday.
I think it maybe just what your looking for.

Dave

buxtonboiler
01-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Any update on date and time ?