PDA

View Full Version : Road side signs

Haynes Forest Products
12-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I have a dillema about putting up a road side sign. I had a friend that runs a metal fab shop with big plasma cutters make me a sign that would last forever it was made out of 3/8 plate 48x36 ovel. It reads Haynes Forest Product, Pure Maple Suyrp:emb: :confused: :cry:

So I didnt put it up and then I got to thinking because I had some SS tanks ripped off during the off season DO I want to invite people to know that down this road you will find alot of nice shinny SS equipment ungarded most of the year. I would have to put up too many road blocks to keep people out. Would I be inviting trouble?

OH by the way he said it was his wifes job to spell check the final draft and She said BLA BLA BLA BLA BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:o

3rdgen.maple
12-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Well that just plain stinks. Could you cut the Suyrp out and insert the correct version and weld it in maybe just have it hinged so it can sway in the breeze a little. I would take the sign down when you leave for the year, but quick question don't you sell all bulk? Or are you gonna bottle some to sell directly to customers this year?

tyrod2
12-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Here in OHIO we made some signs out of plate steel and the county made us take them down.Thay said it was against the law because it could do a lot of damage to a car or even kill some one if they run off the road and hit it. I don't know if this law is in effect in your state or not.

KenWP
12-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Same here for signs they have to bend a bit when run over. Seems like if they are off set from the road enough would take a lot of doing to hit it in thefirst place.

brookledge
12-01-2009, 05:04 PM
We have sign regulations that are in our zoning bylaws that only allow a certain size sign before you need a special permit and then in most cases the sign gets put up outside the town's layout. That way it is on private property and the town isn't liable should someone hit it. Signs that are put up in the layout usually require break-a-way brackets in case it gets hit. But they also make it easier for someone to steal itby breaking it off.
In either case I would think you are better off putting it away from the road so that it is less likely to be hit or damaged from snow plows and snow hitting it.
As for the spelling thats too bad. You will have to look at it to best see how it can be fixed. And I know what you mean by inviting the public by them reading the sign but also letting the crooks know to come snooping
good luck
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
12-01-2009, 10:22 PM
As far a the sign mounting it would be lag bolted to a hugh maple that is just off the right of way and if a car hits the sign it was airborn to do it. We thought about welding the letters back in and running it thru the machine again BUT the danger is if the Plasma cutter goes over the area and a peice from the old letter pops up during the cutting its about a $1000.00 for the head.

Plus I have all the cut outs and I was going to make a sign out of them........and I will spell check it:) Ill have the 9 year old give it a quick look see:o

I only wanted the sign as a way of bragging about the set up........:rolleyes:

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-02-2009, 05:11 AM
Haynes,
Bragging is what this site is for:lol:

Jim Schumacher
12-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Haynes, do you not live near your bush?

Father & Son
12-02-2009, 12:59 PM
I was told by my insurance agent that putting a sign up is inviting people on your property and then all the liability issues begin.

Jim

Haynes Forest Products
12-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Jim I live in Parker Colo about 25 mile south of denver. I lived 29 years in Chicago and spend all my summers in Jacksomport and when I was a hippie back in 1970 I paid $2000 for 7 acers and and expanded to 10 and mover to Colo back in 79 so I have now lived longer here than there. I go back for 3 weeks in the spring for sugaring. So the short answer is I live 1240 miles from the bush:mad:

3rdgen.maple
12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Man Haynes the hippie thing is all starting to make sense now.......... I had a neighbor who bought 36 acres next to me and decided to expand, problem being he did not pay for the 50 acre expansion that went on my land. Long story short he had alot of posted signs to remove and a nice surveyors bill to pay...........