PDA

View Full Version : Roof Overhang Extension

Amber Gold
11-30-2009, 03:38 PM
I have two tanks adjacent to my sugarhouse that I want to get under cover. The widest tank is 4' wide. My existing roof overhang is 2'. If possible, I would like to extend it to 6'...4' minimum to at least cover the tanks...the extra 2' was just to keep the snow further away.

My building inspector is a stickler about everything and is by the book on everything. Does anyone know how can I accomplish this? I'm within the property setback limits so I can't extend my footprint by supporting the overhang with posts. I think I can extend my roofline though, provided it meets code, w/out breaking any rules.

My existing roof is 2x6 @ 16" O.C. I'm guessing I couldn't extend the rafters to get the overhang...or can I. He goes by IBC, which I don't have. The other option I was thinking of was bracing the end of the overhang against the wall of the sugarhouse...maybe a 2x6 brought to 5' up the SH wall to form a triangle. I know it'll work, but not sure if there is a code for it.

Thanks in advance.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-30-2009, 04:59 PM
A treated 4x4 works good for bracing roof overhangs and is cheap. Will support better than a 2x4 or 2x6. Angle it from roof back into side of building. Might want to double or triple stud on inside of building where it butts into side of building.

michelle32
11-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi Josh, Sounds like things are moving along over there. I'm not sure as far as what the inspector will consider your foot print. But the angles to the wall will work. Probably will need more than just the out side ones. I would also put temporary post in in the winter just to carry any heavy snow loads. Wouldn't be good to find out it was good for 10inches of snow and we got 20.
Keith

KenWP
11-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Basically your talking about building mansards which should hold a lot of weight and look like a heavy built over hang. make sure that each one rests against a stud and you should be okay. They work sort of like a shelf bracket.

johnallin
11-30-2009, 06:43 PM
If you can get in there, sister an 8' length of 2x6 on either side of your exisiting rafters with 6' inside the roof edge and 2 feet extending beyond the existing rafter ends. Bolt all three together every 16" in a saw tooth pattern, make sure they all rest on the top of the wall and you should be fine.

This gives you a ratio of 33% cantilevered which is a basic rule of thumb. 2' overhang supported by 6' inside = 8'. 33% of the 6' = 2'. Put a 2X6 fascia on the ends of the new rafters and hang a canvas drop curtain.

Just my 2 cents...

brookledge
11-30-2009, 07:29 PM
what I'd do is build it with angled framing back to the bottom of the wall and then then after he inpects it pour a footing and brace the end vertically. My dealing with inspecters is once they have inspected and given the ok they aren't coming back so a few changes will never be known unless your neighbor complains that you are to close and he comes back out.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
12-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Build it as if it was a deck only its at a slant. If it was a deck it would still have snow load requierments 8" ledger board lag bolted into the side of the bldg joist hangers for 2x6 rafters and the last section cantileverd over a main beam of 2) 2x6 cut bird mouths for the mainbeam to get it up out of the way. Shed roofs dont need the same slope as a dwelling and metal roofing is quick and easy.

jtthibodeau
12-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Good advice on the construction aspects but, I believe your setbacks measurement requirements may be based from the structure and not from the foundation or "foot print". How about considering extending/building the roof extended roof structure on the side of the building which will not encroach upon the boundary setback, if that is possible.

Amber Gold
12-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Anything less than $500 doesn't need a building permit and the metal roofing is leftovers from when I did my roof last year, and the rest of it is just plywood and lumber. I'm expecting to come in around $100. I want to make sure it's to code so in case something gets said and he comes up for a visit he won't have anything to say about it. I still haven't gotten my building permit closed out for the roof I did last year because he wants dust/moisture proof electrical boxes and fully enclosed lights. I just bought the one's I have in there new and don't want to replace them so I haven't called him back...I'm hoping he just forgets about me.

Jerry, that wouldn't work in this case. I know someone who does work in the town, I will confirm if the encroachment is to the roof limits or the foundation footprint...hopefully it's the latter.

Those are all good ideas. Are there any code references I can go back to if/when he questions me on it?

Keith, things are moving along...I'm now progressing from getting wood done mode to ohh jeez it's going to be winter soon and I want to get this, this, and this done.

Haynes Forest Products
12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Amber Gold don't get the final inspection until January 1st or there about so you dont pay 2009 taxes:evil: After the final inspection inspectors don't have the right to wonder onto your property because they are curious.

red maples
12-01-2009, 12:05 PM
In my town if your doing anything under $1000 no matter what it is plumbing, electrical etc. no inspection or permit is needed. which is really nice. so if its not in the original plans then he doesn't need to know about it and if its after the final inspection too. then its just considerd an add on.

and my inspector is really easy to work with. He goes by the book "pretty much" but he also works with you on things too. (he's the politian type no enemies)

anyway you can extend the joists and do what johnallin said or you can put on a ledger board and run 2x6's off the side of that and change the pitch if you need to and put a couple of floating blocks on top of compacted sand and gravel with 4x4 pressure treated posts and 45 degree supports just make sure you attach your ledger with ledger locks not galvanized bolts(they aren't code anymore!!). It is legal... if all else fails then contact him and see what he says. I know your location you can see alot from the road so you can't really hide it!!! Good luck

Amber Gold
12-02-2009, 07:08 AM
I checked w/ a couple of people I know in town and it does include the overhang. I asked them if the building inspector would come back to do a final inspection on the roof and they said not likely. It's been over a year at this point. So I'm going to just build it normally w/ posts and a beam and if he does come back and say something I'll just take it down. I wouldn't have much money into it so it wouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for the advice.

zippy1wood
12-11-2009, 04:14 PM
just got my roof trusses today,I work for a lumber company that makes trusses and I got 12 at 16ft each for 200.00 dumped at my house sweet deal
Im gonna take the roof off the small barn my farther built it has a gambrel
roof to high and ugly for my needs, I figure Ill use these trusses and since its
pre exsisting building I dont think the town will even notice, its out back anyway Ill just say roof was rotted I hate asking permission when its my property sometimes I feel like I live in russia or china I wonder if they make syrup:lol: :lol:

maple flats
12-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Not sure about where you are but in NYS farm buildings are exempt from building codes as I have been told. A sugarhouse IS a FARM STRUCTURE. If it is a residence then you need to follow codes. Use good construction practices and don't worry about it is my approach. Most codes inspectors will not tell you they have no authority on farm structures. I found out after I jumped thru all of their hoops that it was optional.

zippy1wood
12-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I do have 11 acres and a few animals so I probably am consider a farm? no sign yet, maybe in 2010 I relized after I posted this I didnt start a fresh post sorry for jumping into the original post

markct
01-22-2010, 05:21 PM
why not make a self standing roof, just 4 posts with some knee braces and a slope. that way its just a small movable roof, dont bolt it to the building just set it there over the tank, or attach right to the tank, then its just a part of your tank. i have a bunch of small roofs over stuff here, and one 8 by 12 peaked roof thats on 4x4 posts just sitting on some patio blocks, its our fire pit pavilion and right out front and visible and no one has said anything