PDA

View Full Version : Support for the stack?

Littlesap
11-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I just got my arch into the new sugar house, added arch board and plan to brick it next weekend. Question on the stack though... it's a small sugar house and I need to be close to the back of the sugar house (maybe 10"), so I opted to pick up some class A chimney pipe rather that trying to insulate the walls. Since the base stack is single wall stainless I plan to put cement board or blanket between it and the wall, but my question is will the base stack support the weight of the chimney pipe or do I need to support it somehow?

I'd say the insulated sections weigh about 20 lbs each and then another section of single wall above the roof, so thinking it will weigh about 50 lbs. I know the evaporator legs will be fine, just wondering about the base stack.

Any thoughts?

3rdgen.maple
11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I would think the base stack should hold it. Is it a stainless steel base? I have to think that some of the guys with 20 foot stacks gotta weight just as much.

Littlesap
11-30-2009, 05:13 PM
It is stainless. OK thanks 3rdgen.

brookledge
11-30-2009, 06:15 PM
What are you using for a roof jack? With mine the roof jack and thus the roof supports all of the weight above the roof jack.
Either way I think your base stack will hold up the stack
Keith

Littlesap
11-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Haven't figured out the roof jack yet, I saw them on one website for $300 and another for $500, this seems a little excessive. Is there anyway around buying one? I have an 8 pitch metal roof... heard someone talking about a metal trash can.

3rdgen.maple
11-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Do a search on here tere was a thread once upon a time about the trash can setup. It looks rather good as well. I personally got mine from a hardware store for around 50 bucks but then again that was years ago.

Littlesap
12-01-2009, 07:07 AM
OK, let me ask a silly question... does the stack go through the roof jack or connnect to it on one end and then another piece of stack connects to it on the other end?

maplwrks
12-01-2009, 07:36 AM
The pipe goes through the roof jack---It should have a collar around it to keep rain out of the jack. The collar goes around the stack and sits just above the top of the jack. I got mine made at a roofing/metal shop in my area. It ran me about a 1/3rd of the cost of a jack from the dealers. If you have 8" pipe, you will want a 10" roof jack.

jtthibodeau
12-01-2009, 07:47 AM
OK, let me ask a silly question... does the stack go through the roof jack or connect to it on one end and then another piece of stack connects to it on the other end?

The stack will fully penetrate the roof line. The roof flashing slips over the stack and a weather collar is installed on the stack just above the roof flashing to prevent water penetration. I recently purchased and installed a 6 inch chimney with flashing, which may be smaller then normal for a evaporator set-up. The flashing and collar attachment cost was approximately $75.00.

red maples
12-01-2009, 12:09 PM
it will hold I have 3 - 3ft sections and 1- 1 ft section on top of the SS basestack and 1- 2 ft piece of ss pipe ther won't be any problem my overall stack is 16 ft for my 2x6 it's heavy but no problem!!! and no supports just screwed together and chimney clamps.

brookledge
12-01-2009, 07:56 PM
My roof jack doesn't use a collar. It is the type that is actually a full 3 ft. piece of pipe that has the angle of the roof welded to it. The way it works is the section is slightly tappered from the bottom to the top so that the stack coming up from the evaporator wedges into the underside of the roof jack and then you continue on outside on the top of the jack with the rest of the stack.
Which ever type you decide on you can get a local fab shop to make one for you
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I have the same type as Keith has and it is made by Leader. Very good jack and overpriced, yes, but very good quality and I like the design better than ones with a collar. I have 10" stack, so the roof jack is close to 12" at the bottom and tapers down to 10" aprox 3' above that, so you have air space on the bottom and the stack wedges up into it close to the top for support and you also get a watertight seal as there is no collar to ever leak. I have another 3' section on top of the roof jack as it is crimped on top to add more stack.

Buckeye mapler
12-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Westvirginia mapler,
while those are some really nice bucks you took, those are juniors here in Ohio!!! JK. You have a nice set up and those bucks are nice. I could not find my 10 pointer I shot this year during the rut. The best part of that hunt was that my wife went and filmed the hunt, she is hooked now. We will hunt together now. I have been trying to get her into it for some time now!