PDA

View Full Version : First divider pan

wegnerwelding
11-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Here's my first go at a divided pan in the 22ga. stainless. Its a 24" x 34" pan that I'm making for someone in NY. It has 8.5" walls and 7" dividers. I still have to weld the 1/2" draw off fittings, and a 1/4" threaded thermometer fitting. I tacked the dividers about every inch to start. I'm adding small stitches as I go, but this 22ga. material sure is a challenge. I found myself getting frustrated and had to stop a few times. Good time to break for cutting more hydrometer cups!! :-) The heat sinks that I bought worked great so far.

3rdgen.maple
11-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Looks pretty darn good. Are you putting drawoffs and Thermometer fittings on both ends so the pan can be rotated? Looks like some NY is gonna be happy.

wegnerwelding
11-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks 3rdgen, I'm making it according to the sketch that he wanted. All the fittings are getting put on the same side. I enjoyed the challenge of the divided pan, vs the standard flat.

heus
11-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I just purchased the 15x15 finish pan from you on ebay. I sent you a message about needing it shipped to a different address. Thanks, Heus

3rdgen.maple
11-29-2009, 12:51 AM
hues did you get your rig yet?

Haynes Forest Products
11-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Wegner save some time and dont cut the pass threws in a square just cut a triange off the corner it will make the sides stronger and its one quick cut on the shear. Looks good and keep in mind the dividers dont need to be water tight. if 5% get under the dividers it wont cause a problem.

wegnerwelding
11-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks Hues, got the messege, it will ship tomorrow or Tuesday.

thanks haynes ,I was hoping for some feedback, good or bad. As far as ease goes I notched the corners in my notcher, so it was easy And quick. But you are right as far a strength goes. In the future I will just nip the corner off. How big of a cut should I take off?

heus
11-29-2009, 08:58 AM
3rdgen,
He was supposed to bring it today but he emailed Friday and said a family member died so he would come this week. Not sure when though.

Haynes Forest Products
11-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Wegner I would use the same size that you have just nip it at the marks. Syrup will move around and flow a little slower BUT that is good its best if the sap into syrup is always moving forward in a positive manner so you dont have so much mixing.
Im not trying to nit pick the work just a observation I know its more work BUT Bend the top lip of the pan out so its easer to lift the pan when its hot. Yes its done all the time and even lifting to strighten the gasket or slide back into position will be alot better without reaching into the steam to do it. Plus its anouther area that gets dirty so if its out its not getting crap under it. the lip wont keep the boil in all that much. I DO LIKE THE WORK.

By next week I want to see a post of the drawoff box we talked. Shinny is nice but function is the key GET ER DONE:o

heus
12-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Wegner,
Received the finish pan. Thank you very much. Heus

3rdgen.maple
12-03-2009, 08:53 PM
hues are you finishing on a separate rig than the new one you are getting? or is it a backup pan for the new setup?

heus
12-03-2009, 09:02 PM
I am going to draw off early this first year and finish in a separate pan. Once I get the hang of the evaporator maybe I will be able to finish there. I will use the pan I got from Wegner to filter as well. Patrick has re-scheduled delivery of my 2x6 to this Sat or Sun. Said he had some to deliver to New York as well.

3rdgen.maple
12-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Very cool I bet you are not gonna sleep till well after it arrives. They are bueatiful to say the least.