PDA

View Full Version : Made my first steam

TRAILGUY
11-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Got the chimney done so I did a test firing. The rear pan had a good boil. Front pan only had a low boil. 2X6 lighting with a home made arch. Put a new gasket in the door and furnace cement to tighten up some leaks. Bought a temp gauge so L can gauge the best setting

KenWP
11-25-2009, 09:42 PM
How long did you boil for. That and what size of stack do you have.

3rdgen.maple
11-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Trailguy just remember once you get some concentrate in that front pan it is gonna boil harder than straight water. I remember When I test boiled mine and was impressed and then when the sweet stuff hit the pans I was dumbfounded.

TRAILGUY
11-26-2009, 07:51 AM
6 in medalbestes out of a house being demo. around 14 high total.

Maplebrook
11-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Trailguy,
Regarding the low boil in the front pan, how is your evaporator situated in your camp?
The first season with our Sportsman it was in a 3-sided shack with the front to the open side. Wouldn't boil good in the front pan at all. An old-timer took one look and said to close in the front of the shack and keep the cold air off the fire door.
After that was done it worked fine.
Darren

TRAILGUY
11-26-2009, 03:56 PM
put insulation on the door, sealed cracks with refractory cement and closed the door on shed the front pan boiled hard and the back pan not as much. Added wood for about one hour stove stove pipe ran 300 to 400 F the door was over 800 F saw a few drips on two fittings where they were soldered done testing waiting for spring. 85 tap up may pick up another roll of tubing for 25 more plus 25 on buckets.