PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon drums as dump stations

PoorFarmFarmer
11-24-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm thinking of having 55 gallon drums out in the woods as dump stations that all run to the sugarhouse. I was wondering if there were leak proof ways to attach piping to the barrels? and for anyone who already uses this techniques, any pros and cons to think about?

jrthe3
11-24-2009, 08:33 PM
i did this for a few year i got 3/4 inch bulk head fittings from tsc and ran 3/4 black main line to the sugar house only prop i had was i had one on the top and one half way down with both hooked into the same mainline if you did not pay atenion to it if you dumped to much in the top one to fast it would over flow the bottom one

PS have a tight fitting lid and keep it tied on cause they are like big funnels

Farmboy
11-25-2009, 06:34 PM
One thing to try. Try using a Y to tie the second barrel in that mite lessen the chance of sap going in the second barrel.

KenWP
11-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Why not use back flow valves on the barrels. Then they can not fill up from the other barrels. A $2.95 fix.

PerryW
11-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Those stainless steel sink drains work well for hooking a hose to a galvanized stock tank, so they would probably work for the barrels. I used epoxy instead of plumber's putty around the drain. I use a Fernco Rubber adapter for go from the sink drain to the black plastic pipe.

Grade "A"
11-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I used a bulkhead fitting like jrthe3 did and it never leaked. The only thing I can add is to have you pipe going to your sugar house tight with no dips in it. I have a dip in mine because I laid it on the ground, that would make it get airbound and the sap would only trickle out until you could work the air back out again (big pain). After I ran a wire and got the pipe straight I never had a problem.