PDA

View Full Version : 1/2-14 pipe plug ??

Dennis H.
11-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Well I have a strange question here.
I got a curtis RU-300 coffee maker that has spigots on both sides, 3 on the front and 3 on the back.

I would like to remove the 3 on the back as they will be unused next to the wall.

The thing I am running into is that the threads for the ports and spigots are 1/2-14 but not pipe thread, they are straight cut! You must use a locking nut to make it tight.
I tried a standard 1/2-14 pipe plug but it will not seal, I used a bunch of teflon tape no good still leaked.

Does anyone know where to get straight cut 1/2-14 pipe fittings or what I could to do to fix the problem I am having?

KenWP
11-21-2009, 06:02 PM
From what I can find out if you use hydraulic fittings they should fit. Thats not for certain but seems to be the way to go.

nas
11-21-2009, 06:45 PM
What about a short bolt, maybe fine thread, with an O ring on it?

Nick

MFarmall
11-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Try some machine shops in your area. Sounds like what you have is a BSPP thread. That is a British Standard Pipe Parallel, it is the equivalent of 1/2-14. If they have a die they could thread a piece of 1/2" stainless and make a plug. Or check out McMaster-Carr,try part # 4860K128, it is a brass 1/2" BSPP Plug. The number is from a catalog a few years old but should still be good.
Mel

Haynes Forest Products
11-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Ken has the best idea yet BUT the threads are a square type on the coffee maker:mad: Dennis show us some pictures of the unit. I did nt know they had that many spigots.

NH Maplemaker
11-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Dennis H, I was just wondering! If you plug those vales off, woudn't there be an area in there that would be a dead space! where syrup will collect an will not get cleaned. When you wash the holding tank water will also mix with the syrup. After while it could get pretty nasty behind the plugs and nix with your new syrup every time you add to the tank!! Jim L.

Dennis H.
11-22-2009, 03:28 PM
I will post a pic shortly just a little tight on time right now.

All the info that I could find on the RU-300 it shows none with spigots on both sides. I will have to leave at least the 2 for the urns so as Jim says I can clean it out, not a big deal.
The center one is the issue. Who ever had it last must had real hard water as the spigot is really gunked up. I soaked it in CLR and boiled it in vinegar, it didn't turn out to bad.

I guess I can put it back in but a just think that there is no sense keeping it in there if I never will use it.
I did remove the sight glasses on the rear ones, they are a standard 1/8" pipe thread.

NH Maplemaker
11-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Dennis H. When I pick up my coffee urn I replaced all the valves on it as they were all coffe stained.(inside Rubbers) If you need replacements valves let me know and I will get you a phone # and the part # you need!! I have a Cd with all the Part numbers and break downs for all the differant brands! Jim L.

Haynes Forest Products
11-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Dennis that is a cool unit never saw one with front and back spigots. NH Maple is the go to guy with all the parts lists. You could cut the spigot off leaving the ring and make a small disc and use it as a screw on cover plate. I would also clean out the water jacket with alot of vinegar to clean the elements. There is a high low water senser that you need to remove and clean so it will safeguard the heating element.

Dennis H.
11-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Yeah I already had it all apart, there was a good bit of sediment in the bottom but nothing hard and chunky.
It looked like they just replaced the water level probe at the top there wasn't a bit of calcium or dirt on it.
It was a trick getting each urn out though. There is a male to female spacer that screws into the back port on the urn that the spigot then srews into and you have to take that spacer off in order to get the urn out throu the top opening.

Thanks for the info on the replacement parts. I will keep you in mind. I found a local Hobart dealer who also can get stuff from Tomlinson so I got all new rubber seat cups and 2 of the plastic stems that the cup attach to, they broke when trying to remove the rubber cup.

That is an idea Haynes, I could cut the spigot off and have it hard soldered shut then put it back in, Now I would have a plug.