PDA

View Full Version : sp 22

howden86
11-18-2009, 08:19 AM
how many inches of vaccum can I run on a surge sp 22 pump. It has a 1.5 hp pump.

Thamks

Tom

Maplewalnut
11-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Everyone will tell you that as a dairy pump it is not meant for over 15" but I ran mine at 19-20" last year for days on end at times with no problems.

With that being said it all depends on how cool you can keep it. If it is outside and not in your sugarhouse you are that much ahead of the game especially when the sun is warming in late March or April. Box fans positioned over top to help cool and a good oil mixture with frequent changes will also help.

I know some people on here run even higher than me.

Dennis H.
11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
I am planning on running mine somewhere between 15 and 20"

I have been told that they will run all day ong without a single issue if kept at 15" when you start bumping it up you will have to watch it a little closer.

Like MAplewalnut said heat is the killer, so put a fan on it, that is what I am planning on doing. I have my sp22 in a small shed that is remotely switched on so I am going to have the fan come on when ever the vac is running

wdchuck
11-18-2009, 05:10 PM
You can just turn that old piston pump on and run it! They'll usually pull over 20" easily and do it for a week straight if you need it to. Only problem is that they dont pull alot of cfm's. I'd buy another if I could find one................

Russell Lampron
11-18-2009, 05:55 PM
I adjusted mine for 21" at the beginning of the season last year. After I got the vacuum leaks fixed which didn't take long it was pulling 23" and I could put my hand on top of it without getting burnt. That is where I left the regulator adjustment. It uses a little more oil when I work it that hard though so I keep a close eye on it. I have mine outdoors under my tank platform and it is cool enough there so that I don't need a fan.

tuckermtn
11-18-2009, 06:25 PM
I'll echo Russ' numbers- our sp-11 ran between 21-23" for long periods last year and it passed the Pateneted Parker Spit N' Sizzle test every time...

danno
11-18-2009, 07:39 PM
[ Spit N' Sizzle test every time...[/QUOTE]

I like that - I'll have to remember that come March!

maplebabe
11-22-2009, 08:20 PM
what are you guys (people) running running for oil in you sp22 or other vac pumps

tuckermtn
11-22-2009, 09:53 PM
I ran amsoil compressor oil in my sp-11 last year. seems to keep it a bit cooler- but it may be hokus pokus...not completely sold on synthetics-

Russell Lampron
11-23-2009, 05:28 AM
I ran Dexron III ATF in mine last year but I am going to change over to SAE 20 ND this season and see if that cuts down on the misting.

Maplewalnut
11-23-2009, 07:31 AM
I ran TSC vacuum pump oil. Had very little misting.

lpakiz
11-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Have any of you guys with Surge piston pumps had the crankcase apart? I would like to know if it can turn in either direction. There seems to be an arrow on the cylinder head indicating rotation. What dictates the rotation?
I suspect something like an oil scoop on the underside of the connecting rod cap for lubrication..
I wanto to reverse the rotation to accomodate a gas engine with gas tank and carburator in the way.

Russell Lampron
11-24-2009, 05:53 AM
If yours still has it the spokes in the pulley on the pump are slanted like fan blades to draw in air to cool the pump head. It also has scoops on the connecting rods for lubrication. I would find a way to mount the gas engine off to the side so that it turns in the same direction as the pump.

Haynes Forest Products
11-24-2009, 08:11 AM
On my first gas powerd vac set up I also had the problem. I offset the engine to get things going in the same direction. Makes for a bigger setup but its one option.

lpakiz
11-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. This pump sits on the original tank, to which i've added 2 rubber wheels for mobility. I'm trying to keep it small and easy to move--I did find a 4HP Tecumseh which will kinda work and keep things compact, but reversing the rotation would have been the best. Russel, I suspect I could reverse the oiler scoops. Can you think of any other issues?

Russell Lampron
11-25-2009, 05:33 AM
You cant reverse the scoops. They are part of the rod bearing cap and the rods are bored to fit one way. You turn them around and the hole won't be round anymore. That will cause the bearings to bind on the crankshaft and fail.

KenWP
11-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Okay why can't you put the motor on the other end or side of the pump instead of thinking of putting the motor backwards and trying to reverse the pump.

Haynes Forest Products
11-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Putting it on the other side doesnt work you need to off set it so it runs CCW or CW just flipping it to the other side only allows the exhaust, carb and recoil to be on the outside. It makes for a wider base but will solve the problem.

Russell Lampron
11-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Just got a look at a SP-22 New Old Stock rebuild kit. Rarer than a vane kit for a Delaval 73. There weren't any dippers on the rod bearing caps. You may be able to reverse the direction of the SP-22 pump but proceed with caution. Parts for these pumps are no longer available and if you screw something up! I think you know what I mean.

lpakiz
11-25-2009, 08:33 PM
OK, Thanks for the opinions. Guess I will go with the slightly clumsier arrangement...

KenWP
11-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Can you not buy vanes that cut down to fit any pump. The last pump I rebuilt the vanes alone cost $750 bucks.

Russell Lampron
11-27-2009, 06:52 AM
After more research I have found a picture of the oil dipper on the SP-22 connecting rod. Those would have to be moved to the other connecting rod bolt to work properly if you were to run the pump backwards. There is also a shaft in the pump that operates the valve. I am not sure if that would work properly if rotated backwards.

http://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=1027&stc=1&d=1259324688

lpakiz
11-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Russell, thanks for the effort you made to post that picture. I had assumed that the valves were just check-valves, orientated so that one was an intake and one was a discharge. Didn't realize that there was a shaft-driven valve(s) in there...

Russell Lampron
11-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Larry these pumps are getting hard to find and repair parts are even harder. A friend of mine has a NOS rebuild kit and it may be the only one in existence. The first picture that he sent to me was from far enough away so that I couldn't see the dippers on the rods. He sent me the close up of the end of the rod and it's clear to see that they do have dippers.

Find yourself a 1/4" plate that you bolt your gas motor to that is big enough to bolt to the frame of the SP22. You can use the slots on the pumps frame to adjust the belts. Keep the oil level where it belongs in the pump, 3/4" up the tube, and change it a few times during the season.

KenWP
11-28-2009, 08:06 AM
How much would you need to raise the motor up over the pump to get past the gas tank and carb. So that the belt ran at a downward nagle instead.

Russell Lampron
11-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Ken the gas motor doesn't rotate in the same direction as the pump. It needs to be turned 180 degrees and mounted off to the side so that the pulleys turn in the same direction.

southdevonbeef
11-30-2009, 08:51 PM
I just bought an SP22 pump on e-bay. The auction just closed. My winning bid was $305. Thats about $200 less then the last one I bought and the pump is located only a couple hours from my farm. Now I have a back up if I have a problem with one. Also included in the auction was 3 surge bucket milkers, if you need a bucket milker let me know.