PDA

View Full Version : That 5 ft brake

Sugarmaker
11-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Well I was in the mood to load some pictures which I had promised.

Here is the 5 ft brake that I made using the plans from the Big_Eddy on the trader.
Please don't laugh at it. It actually works pretty well. Bends sharper on the ends but a little weak in the center.

I have used this to make some bends for the WRU (see other thread)

It was fabricated on a budget. I have less than $1.00 in it so far! Just scraps!

I fashioned a single clamp down bar from three angle irons and some other scraps.
You can see that both the main support and the bending portion have been splice to get the length.:)

I did buy a used Oxy/Act outfit ($75) that really helped carve out some of the "fine" details.

$90 dollar MIG from Harbor Freight and several grinding disc's rounded out the rest of the tools.

Regards,
Chris

KenWP
11-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Weak in the center due to not being tight enough. I made my living on a metal break for years and a good break has a lot of bridgeing in the center to keep it from flexing. But that costs a lot of money also.

WMF
11-17-2009, 11:09 PM
I once broke a brake now I need to take a break.

Sugarmaker
11-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Chuck, (WMF)
Very nice web site and kitchen!
Does that cream machine of your have a 1/2 inch pump or a 3/4 inch pump?

Regards,
Chris

Sugarmaker
11-18-2009, 06:06 PM
KenP,
Yes I realize the the bridging adds support/ rigidity to the bending components. This is pretty crude. I may need to pick you brain on some bending issues.

Nice to know there are folks out there that can help.

How are your cups coming along in your pan?
Regards,
Chris

jrthe3
11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
looks great chris i may have to stop over one of these days to take a better look at that brake want to build one to make my new flue pan

KenWP
11-18-2009, 07:05 PM
I spend to much time in school to make suger equipment. I had to do a presentation today on sirop d erable in french. Duh

Sugarmaker
11-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Boyd,
Stop by some time I want to get your ideas on float systems.

Chris

jrthe3
11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
chris will you be around sat it looking like i be free

WMF
11-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Sugarmaker,
I used a 1" pump with a variable speed drive. That cooked syrup is pretty stiff when cold and flows through 1" piping easier .