PDA

View Full Version : 2" drop tubes

sponge
11-15-2009, 06:42 PM
I have a question for all you maple guru's out their. I have recently come across some 2" ss elbows, tee's and pipe. I am thinking of putting an elbow then two tee's then another elbow to give me four 2" ports in each section of my 2'x4' flat pan. is that pipe going to be to big or will it work at all? I am trying to gain some more gph. Any thoughts would be helpfull.

Haynes Forest Products
11-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Are you talking transfer plumbing between pans Yes that will be ok. As far a drawoff that is a little big. On my 3x10 I have 2" transfer plumbing and 2" drawoff that I taperd down to 3/4.

3rdgen.maple
11-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Iam a little confused sorry. But are you trying to make flues or are you tring to plumb your pans together. If it is flues ceck out the thread on drop tubes you will find alot of info there.

sponge
11-16-2009, 05:00 PM
I am trying to make flues out of it. The 90's would make them stick down 4" into the firebox and run the length of the pan and then back up. thanks for the info on the thread 3rdgen.

Sugarmaker
11-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Not sure why this would not work to add surface area. Couple of things to consider long term:
1. they may be hard to clean. A flex brush might solve that.
2. Like and thing holding sap at low concentrations and during extreme cold they would need to be drained or kept warm.
There are tube style evaporators out there that have the heat going through the tubes not the sap.

Regards,
Chris

snohiker
11-16-2009, 08:46 PM
what if you did it the opposite way and ran the tubes thru the sap so the heat would travel thru the tubes would that work as well

C.Wilcox
11-16-2009, 09:26 PM
what if you did it the opposite way and ran the tubes thru the sap so the heat would travel thru the tubes would that work as well

MartinP made a really cool pan like this earlier this year. Check his photobucket page for photos.